Barbecue cook-off competition deadline to register is FridayPublished 3:26pm Wednesday, October 23, 2013
The City of Brewton will hold their first barbecue cook-off competition next week, Saturday, Nov. 2, at Jennings Park as the Greater Brewton Chamber of Commerce hosts “Smoked”.
“As of today we have eight teams,” Judy Crane, executive secretary for the chamber, said. “The deadline is Friday. We seem to have a lot of interest so far.”
Teams are set to compete in one of three categories for the event and will be cooking up samples for those who attend the event. Those who come to the event will be able to purchase a taster’s ticket for $10. The ticket will give the taster a chance to sample barbecue from five different competitors. The top of the ticket will be used as a ballot for the taster to vote for their favorite team. The judging will be by popular vote with the winner being dubbed Best BBQ during closing ceremonies.
Contestants will have samples ready for the crowd beginning at 3 p.m. with the sampling and voting continuing until 6 p.m. Representatives will be gathering votes each hour and counting them. The final vote box will be counted at 6 p.m. and a winner is expected to be announced by 6:30 p.m.
Teams may consist of up to five cooks, with the chief cook on each team responsible for the conduct of the entire team and guests. Categories for competition are beef, chicken and pork with competitors entering only one category for the challenge.
The entry fee for each team is $25 with a portion of the proceeds going back to the competitors to help defray costs of the competition.
The Chamber also has shirts for sale. Ann Peach was in charge of getting the trophy. The winning team next week will have their team name put on the trophy and they will keep it until next year’s cook off.
To find out more on the rules and requirements for the competition or to reserve a team space for the event, contact the Greater Brewton Area Chamber of Commerce. The office can be reached by phone at 867-3224.
Here are the rules for the competition:
1. A $25.00 entry fee is required for each team. We are asking for each team to have only one of the following a (beef, pork, or chicken). A sample portion will be served which is approximately 4 oz. of meat. (Bring your best BBQ sauce and meat). Each team should prepare 100 servings.
2. The chief cook will be held responsible for the conduct of the team and guest. No more than five cooks per team are allowed. Each team will be responsible for the clean up of their space. Proper disposal of grease and coals are required.
3. A traveling trophy will be awarded to the 1st place team with the best over-all BBQ, which will be voted on by popular choice.
4. Please declare on the entry form which meat your team will be entering a Beef, Chicken or Pork.
5. Fires must be of wood or wood substance. Electric or gas grills are ok. No open fires allowed. We ask that all meat is cooked on site. Contestants must supply all needed equipment and supplies except for the portion bowl. The official start time is 2 PM Nov. 2nd for serving and will end at 5 PM. No pre-cooked, pre-boiled or prepared meats please.
6. Contestants may begin setting up anytime after 4:00 PM on Friday Nov 1st. There will be no security that night. Teams must be set-up by 12:00 PM on Saturday or will be disqualified with no refund.
7. Contestants must provide their own tables, chairs and tents if so desired. Each team will be provided a 24×24 space for cooking. There will be electricity provided and water will also be available.
8. After 5 PM all vendors will be able to sell remainder of food to take home at a price that will be determined by each individual team. All proceeds from left over sells will be kept by individual teams. From 2-5 PM teams can only serve portion sizes for tickets.
9. The judging will be by popular vote of the BEST BBQ Ticket. Attendees will purchase a $10.00 ticket with 5 perforated samples on each ticket. The top ticket will not be redeemable for any food but will cast a vote for the BEST BBQ. Each team will have a box with their team name on it to collect tickets. Tickets will be gathered each hour and counted. The final vote box will be counted at 5 PM and the winner should be announced by 5:30 PM.
10. A Chamber representative will keep count of the tickets and a check will be mailed within 2 weeks for 50% of collected tickets by each vendor to help cover cost.
11. Teams shall comply with attached Health Department rules.