As easy as Pi: Area high schools compete at JDCC math tourneyPublished 9:15am Wednesday, March 12, 2014
The 2014 Jefferson Davis Mathematics Tournament was held on Thur., Feb. 27, on the campus of Jefferson Davis Community College in Brewton. Seven high schools and a total of 144 students participated in the daylong event. Teams competed for trophies and awards on a 35-question exam and 16 “quick answer” cipher questions.
T. R. Miller High School of Brewton (pictured above) captured the first place trophy. Other schools earning trophies were Flomaton High School, second place; W.S. Neal High School, third place; and, Atmore Christian, fourth place. Also participating were Escambia County High School, Hillcrest High School and Escambia Academy.
Loletta Redmon, Allen Gainer and Jeannette Lymon directed the tournament with assistance from the JDCC Honors students, SGA representatives and Phi Theta Kappa students.
Individual awards went to the following students:
1. Ryan Garmeson, T. R. Miller: Top Winner and The Michael Tedder Distinguished Math Student Award;
2. Matthew Eligio, Flomaton;
3. Tyler Smith, Flomaton;
4. Gerred Boatwright, W. S. Neal;
5. Davontae Walker, Escambia County;
6. Garrett Kirk, Escambia Academy;
7. Wesley Hostetler, Atmore Christian;
8. Anna Catherine Campbell, T. R. Miller;
9. Crystal Boutwell, T. R. Miller; and,
10. Deston Taylor, Flomaton;
Team sponsors were:
• Hillcrest : Lynda Cook;
• T. R. Miller: Catherine Watson;
• W. S. Neal: Jeff Haney;
• Flomaton: Scott Hammond and Terry Levan;
• Escambia Academy: Robert Balzer and Mary Blackman;
• Escambia County: Timothy Salter; and,
• Atmore Christian: Tim Battles and Jerry Stahly.