7 down, 1 to go in pill roundupPublished 3:14pm Friday, April 11, 2014
Seven people are in jail and police are searching for an eighth after wrapping up an undercover round up of “pill pushers” this week.
Sgt. Andrew Casey of the Brewton Police Department’s narcotics division said Friday that the focus of the initiative was placed on prescription narcotic sales.
“That’s our biggest problem, as far as drugs go in Brewton,” Casey said. “There are a lot of people who abuse pills. This roundup targeted the low-level, every day people who fill their prescriptions and then sells them.
“I hope these arrests send a message,” Casey said. “We’re going to keep putting the pressure. Prescription pill abuse, most people think that, ‘Well, I have a prescription, and it can’t hurt me.’ They’d be wrong. A lot of people overdose every year, and we don’t want that.”
Police are currently searching for 28-year-old Rodney Dewayne Lane. He is wanted in connection with the roundup for the alleged distribution and possession of hydrocodone.
• Wofford Legreer Horton III, 32, for the distribution and possession of hydrocodone;
• Tava Rene Pate, 47, for the distribution and possession of hydrocodone and suboxone;
• Ronald Paul Andrews, 47, on two counts each of the distribution and sale of suboxone;
• Clinton Miller Ball, 28, for the distribution and possession of alprazolam and five counts of possession of alprazolam, hydrocodone, methadone and clonazepam;
• Jerry Leon Smith, 53, for the distribution and possession of oxycodone;
• James Derek Ramos, 25, for the distribution and possession of marijuana; and,
• Henry Lee Minous, 59, for the distribution and possession of cocaine.