Joyner seeks Senate seat

Published 2:00am Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Nearly a decade ago, Danny B. Joyner made a run for the senate using tomato stakes and cardboard as political signs around the district in the 1994 campaign.
Although Joyner’s method of campaigning may be different for the 2014 election, his reason for the run is the same as it was 10 years ago.
“This is not something that is easily done,” Joyner said. “I believe it requires a passionate belief that one person can make a difference. I have that belief.”
Joyner will be making an attempt to win at seat in the Alabama Senate representing District 22. The seat covers Baldwin, Choctaw, Conecuh, Escambia, Monroe, Mobile and Washington counties — the larges geographical district in the state.
The district is currently represented by Democrat Marc Keahey of Grove Hill. Keahey has been named as a possible candidate for U.S. Rep. Jo Bonner’s seat, but he could not be reached for comment Tuesday.
“This Escambia and Baldwin counties make up about 60 percent of the district,” Joyner said. “The other 40 percent is taken up by the other six counties in the district. I’m proud to be from Escambia County. I wouldn’t want to live any where else.”
Joyner said he wanted to give the people of Escambia County a voice in state government and taking the senate seat would give him a chance to be that voice.
“We haven’t had a senator for Escambia County for all these many years in this district,” Joyner said. “I want to be there and talk about the things that matter in Brewton and in the county.”
Joyner is a life-long member of Brewton and is calling his campaign for the 2014 election a “Faith, Family, Freedom” campaign.
“It is our right to worship God and pray I Jesus name and to believe and say what we believe makes a family,” Joyner said. “We have a right to bear arms without restriction according to the second amendment as long as we are good moral men and women who mind our own business. It’s call freedom and we have been practicing it in the south most of my life but not it is apparent we will have to defend our constitution if we are going to maintain those freedoms and our southern Alabama heritage. With our Faith, Family, Freedom campaign, we hope to build an opportunity for all Alabamians to renew their commitment to return to these things which make us the people we are — Southerners.”
Joyner said he plans to take common sense to Montgomery and use his position to improve our education system and bring quality jobs to the state.
“As a businessman, Tea Party leader and a true conservative, I pledge that I will work to cut waste in government and oppose any new state taxes,” Joyner said. “I will make it my priority to create new jobs throughout the district. There is no such thing as trickle up economics and I believe we have to be diligent in supporting local industries and manufacturers to recruit new industries to the state. I believe we have to stop the federal regulators from stopping free enterprise and restricting our freedom to exist as a sovereign state within our republic.”
Joyner said he believes Alabama’s natural resources are the states best assets and can only enhance the quality of life in throughout the area.
“Nobody every retires up north and we have to be ready to take advantage of our resources and welcome retiring baby boomers with genuine southern hospitality,” Joyner said. “It’s a simple equation that our natural resources are our greatest asset. I plan to build on that. By building lakes in the state and in our area, we could see 62 miles of shoreline. With that and other growth in the area, it would only draw people to the area.”
Joyner currently serves as an appointed member of the Alabama Oil and Gas Committee and owns and operates Safety and Security Consultants in Brewton. He is a member and Sunday school teacher at First Baptist Church of Brewton. He and his wife of 37 years, Louise, have two children, Darren (Daphne) and Brock (deceased) and are grandparents to Jeremiah Brock Joyner.

Editor's Picks

Please go vote

In less than one week, voters will go to the polls to begin to determine who will be the next leaders of our state and ... Read more