JDCC basketball to begin season tonight (Wednesday)Published 1:01pm Wednesday, November 6, 2013
Despite having a rough season last year with a 2-22 overall record and a 2-12 record in conference play with only one returning player from the year before, the 2013-14 Jefferson Davis Community College Warhawk basketball team returns five players from last year’s team.
JDCC’s current roster shows 13 players with 10 being sophomores and three freshman. Eight players are from Alabama, three are from Florida while one is from Louisiana and one from Tennessee.
Sophomore players include: Adrian Rich (Georgiana), Chris Oden (Sylacauga), Sherman Rountree (Birmingham), Fletcher Forte (Pensacola), Mikwese Claybourne (Greenville), Anthony Bell (Mobile), Keaynon Gulley (Pensacola), Quan Threatt (Sylacauga), Christian Jones (Darrow, Louisiana), and Michael Hutchins (Livingston).
Freshman players include: Ty Hairston (Loudon, Tennessee), Darren Wilson (Sylacauga) and Nick Waters (Jay, Florida).
Rich, Oden, Forte, Bell and Gulley were all on last year’s team.
“I’m very excited about the team,” JDCC head coach Allen Gainer said. “The guys we have returning from last year have really stepped up and pushed the new guys to work hard. Fletcher, Chris, and Adrian have picked up where they left off with scoring in our preseason games. Anthony has been outstanding defensively and Keaynon has been a rebounding force.”
As for new guys on the team, Gainer said they are working hard as well—and there could be some bright things ahead for this team.
“Quan Threatt has established himself as the team leader and is an exciting playmaker,” Gainer said. “Chris Jones will be a dominant force in the post. Mike Hutchins and Mikwese Claybourne are multitalented players with size and strength. Sherman Rountree has been set back with injuries, but looks to be a strong scorer when healthy. Darren Wilson has improved more than any other player in preseason and will give us strong depth inside. Ty Hairston can defend inside or out and will be counted on as a utility player. I’m very excited about these guys. They are high character people and enjoy hard work. I believe they will help us compete for the division championship.”
The Warhawks will begin their 2013-14 season with a home game against Spring Hill College on Wednesday, Nov. 6 at 7 p.m.
JDCC will play 24 games during the 2013-14 season with 11 being at home and 13 on the road. Two of the away games for JDCC will be in a tournament in Tallahassee on Nov. 27-28.
JDCC will have 14 conference games with seven at home and seven on the road. Conference games for JDCC include games against: Bishop State, Enterprise, Chattahoochee Valley, Wallace-Selma, Alabama Southern, LBW and Faulkner State.
Here is the complete schedule for JDCC’s Warhawk basketball team:
• Wednesday, Nov. 6, Spring Hill College, Home, 7 p.m.
• Saturday, Nov. 9, Southern Union, Away, 2 p.m.
• Tuesday, Nov. 12, Pensacola Christian, Home, 7 p.m.
• Monday, Nov. 18, Lawson State, Away, 6:30 p.m.
• Wednesday, Nov. 27, Dayton State, Tallahassee, 2 p.m.
• Thursday, Nov. 28, SW Tennessee, Tallahassee, 1 p.m.
• Tuesday, Dec. 3, Spring Hill, Away, 5 p.m.
• Saturday, Dec. 7, Marion Military, Home, 2 p.m.
• Thursday, Dec. 12, Southern Union, Home, 5:30 p.m.
• Saturday, Jan. 4, Marion Military, 3:30 p.m.
• Thursday, Jan. 9, Bishop State, Home, 7 p.m.
• Monday, Jan. 13, Enterprise State Away, 5:30 p.m.
• Tuesday, Jan. 21, Chattahoochee Valley, Home, 7 p.m.
• Thursday, Jan. 23, Wallace-Selma, Home, 7 p.m.
• Monday, Jan. 27, Alabama Southern, Away, 7 p.m.
• Thursday, Jan. 30, LBW, Home, 7 p.m.
• Thursday, Feb. 6, Bishop State, Away, 7 p.m.
• Monday, Feb. 10, Enterprise State, Home, 7 p.m.
• Thursday, Feb. 13, Faulkner State, Home, 7 p.m.
• Monday, Feb. 17, Chattahoochee Valley, Away, 6:30 p.m.
• Thursday, Feb. 20, Wallace-Selma, 7:30 p.m.
• Monday, Feb. 24, Alabama Southern, Home, 7 p.m.
• Thursday, Feb. 27, LBW, Away, 7 p.m.
• Saturday, March 1, Faulkner State, 2 p.m.
• TBA, ACCC Region Tournament, TBA, TBA