JDCC volleyball begins Tuesday in Selma
Published 3:14 am Saturday, August 28, 2010
Jefferson Davis Community College Lady Warhawk volleyball coach Misti Nims and her team are preparing for the 2010 season.
“Individual workouts went well this summer,” Nims said. “The girls were able to get into the gym on their own and start the team bonding process. It seems that this group of girls really have the dedication needed to make it a special year.”
Nims said since Aug 1, they have been running three-a-days.
“It has been extremely hot but the girls have maintained focus and actually have improved over the last 15 days,” Nims said. “We have been running two and a half miles three to four times a week and weight training and plyometrics three to four times a week. The girls have been working hard and it has shown in recent scrimmages.”
The Lady Warhawks have 13 players this season with seven sophomores and six freshmen.
Nims said some sophomores to watch are Laney Barr, Samantha Ball, Chelsey Slone, and Kali Flanders.
“Laney was our starting setter as a freshman,” Nims said. “Extremely smart on the court, she is one of our captains for this season. Just a great overall player and she will also be a big server for us. Ball was red-shirted last season with an ankle break but is a very smart player with great court awareness. She will be our libero this season and is our other captain. Also a great overall player. Chelsey was our starting middle hitter as a freshman and has already shown improvement for this season. Looking to see her score many points this season. Kali started as RH as a freshman. Kali is a hard worker and has a lot of passion on the court.”
Other sophomores fighting for spots are Caiti Stewart, Casey Perkins, and Ashley Adams.
Freshman to watch out for are Jakiaria Boyd, Olivia Jobson, and Latoya Wright.
“Boyd, I am really excited about this player,” Nims said. “She is going to bring a lot to our team. She will be a big time scorer for us through kills and blocks, is a hard worker and has shown much improvement since her signing day. I’m looking for Olivia to be the missing piece to our puzzle from last year. Olivia a good setter that will allow us to run a 6-2 offense and give Barr opportunities as a hitter on front row. Latoya was the last player we signed and could be an important part of our team. Has potential to be a big score for us.”
Other freshman fighting for spots include, Kaylee Bradley, MH, Caitlin Hall, OH, Amber Broughton, DS.
“All of these ladies have what it takes to be a starter,” Nims said. “They have been working hard and have been improving everyday. I think that our bench will be able to contribute to the team unlike previous years.”
Nims said there is a lot of experience on the team.
“We have three starters returning and a lot of young experience that has already shown,” Nims said. “I expect us to have a fun an exciting season.”
Nims said practice is going great so far.
“Since we do not have an air conditioner, it has been hot,” Nims said. “So we have been doing three sessions to allow us to stay hydrated. We have seen a lot of improvement on hitting and defense. We are hustling a lot and starting to communicate better on the court. I do believe that this is the most talented volleyball team that I have recruited at JDCC. I feel that we have the talent and dedication needed to get us back to the state tournament. Our goal is to take one game at a time to see where it takes us.”
The schedule for the 2010 season shows 23 games with 14 away and nine home. The Lady Warhawks will begin play Tuesday, Aug. 31 when they travel to Wallace State-Selma.
The Lady Warhawks will have their first home game Friday, Sept. 3 against Pensacola State College at 3 p.m.
The following is the complete 2010 JDCC Lady Warhawk volleyball schedule:
• Tuesday, Aug. 31, Wallace State-Selma CC, Selma, 6 p.m.
• Thursday, Sept. 2, Gadsden State CC, Gadsden, 6 p.m.
• Friday, Sept. 3, Pensacola State College, Brewton, 3 p.m.
• Tuesday, Sept. 7, NW Shoals CC, Muscle Shoals, TBA
• Thursday, Sept. 9, Sneads State CC, Brewton, 6 p.m.
• Wednesday, Sept. 15, Lawson State CC, Brewton, 6 p.m.
• Friday, Sept. 17, Sneads State CC, Boaz, 5 p.m.
• Saturday, Sept. 18, Gadsden State CC Tournament, Centre, TBA
• Thursday, Sept. 23, Wallace State CC, Brewton, 3 p.m.
• Friday, Sept. 24, Gulf Coast CC, Brewton, 3 p.m.
• Wednesday, Sept. 29, Faulkner State CC, Bay Minette, 6 p.m.
• Friday, Oct, 1-2, Pensacola State College Tournament, Pensacola, TBA
• Wednesday, Oct. 6, Pensacola State College, Pensacola, 6 p.m.
• Friday, Oct. 8, NW Shoals CC, Bay Minette, 6 p.m.
• Monday, Oct. 11, Wallace State-Selma CC, Brewton, 7 p.m.
• Tuesday, Oct. 12, Gadsden State CC, Brewton, 6 p.m.
• Monday, Oct. 18, Southern Union CC, Wadley, 5 p.m.
• Tuesday, Oct. 19, Lawson State CC, Birmingham, 6 p.m.
• Thursday, Oct. 21, Wallace State CC, Hanceville, 6 p.m.
• Tuesday, Oct. 26, Gulf Coast CC, Panama City, 7 p.m.
• Thursday, Oct. 28, Faulkner State CC, Brewton, 5 p.m.
• Monday, Nov. 1, Southern Union CC, Brewton, 5 p.m.
• Tuesday, Nov. 2, Play In Game—If Necessary, TBA, TBA
• Friday, Nov. 5, State Tournament, TBA, TBA
• Tuesday, Nov. 9, State Tournament, TBA, TBA