BES to hold kindergarten registration
Published 8:51 am Thursday, April 14, 2011
Brewton Elementary School will be registering kindergarten students for the 2011-2012 school year on Thursday, April 21, from 8:30 to 10 a.m., 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., and 2:30 to 4 p.m.
You will have an opportunity to pre-register your child while you attend “Ready, Set, Learn!”, a pre-kindergarten parent information workshop. At this time you will receive a bag of books and materials to use with your child at home.
During the parent meeting, a pre-kindergarten screening assessment will be given to the children, and they will participate in getting ready for “kindergarten” activities. These sessions will be held at the kindergarten building (811 Belleville Avenue, behind the City Board of Education).
Please call Brewton Elementary School at 867-8410 to sign up for a specific meeting time.
In order to be registered for kindergarten, a child must be 5 years old on or before Sept. 1, 2011. The following documents will be needed:
• A certified birth certificate verifying that the child was born on or before Sept. 1, 2005 is required. A hospital birth certificate cannot be accepted.
• The child’s social security card should be brought. Make sure that it has the same legal name as on the birth certificate.
• An Alabama immunization certificate verifying that your child has been given all required immunizations must be presented. You should contact the Escambia County Health Department (867-5765) or your child’s physician to make an appointment if your child has not had the immunizations required for kindergarten.
• Proof of Residency is required to verify that you live in the Brewton city limits. Any person who is not able to provide the proof of residency will be considered out-of-district. Proof of Residency can be:
• a lease agreement from a local certified realtor,
• a public utility bill (top and bottom),
• or a receipt of deposit from a public utility for a permanent residency.
If it is not possible for you to come during these designated days, or if you have any questions, please call Brewton Elementary School at 867-8410.