Two arrested in shooting, stabbing case

Published 4:10 pm Thursday, November 10, 2011

The mother of a 15-year-old party honoree has been arrested on assault charges. The charges stem from a shooting and stabbing incident that took place Sunday at the Masonic Lodge on Brennan Avenue. A second person has also been arrested in connection with the case according to Brewton Police officials.

Michael Johnson, 36, and Twolla Drakeford were arrested in as a suspect in an incident that left five people injured from stab and gunshot wounds.

Brewton Police Sgt. Steven Ferguson said Johnson’s arrest came after a lead pointed to him as the shooting suspect.

“We put him in a line up in Atmore and asked witnesses to pick who they believed the shooter was out of that line up,” Ferguson said. “Our witnesses picked Johnson out of the lineup and named him as the person responsible for the shooting.”

Johnson was arrested without incident Wednesday by Brewton Police and was charged with three counts of first-degree assault.

Ferguson said a search warrant was issued for Johnson’s home to continue the investigation into the case.

“The search warrant of Johnson’s home resulted in uncovering evidence we believe will be helpful in the prosecution of this case,” Ferguson said.

A second person was arrested in connection with the stabbing incident at the same gathering on Brennan Avenue, Ferguson said.

Twolla Drakeford was arrested in connection with the stabbing incident that left two individuals injured.

Drakeford was charged with on count of first-degree assault in connection with the case.

Ferguson said the investigation remains open and other charges are possible in the case.

The case that has put the two suspects behind bars took place at a party hosted by Drakeford for her daughter, Ferguson said.

“There had been an altercation in the building and it spilled out into the parking lot where the stabbing occurred,” Ferguson said. “At some point after the stabbing took place, shots were fired, leaving three people wounded.”

All of those injured were treated for their wounds with one Atmore resident taken by Life Flight to a Mobile hospital. His condition was listed as fair earlier this week. Other injuries were not life threatening, Ferguson said.

No information on bond for Johnson or Drakeford was immediately available.