Football season fast approaching

Published 2:00 am Saturday, August 18, 2012

With the final days of practice winding down before the start of the 2012 football season for the T.R. Miller Tigers and the W.S. Neal Eagles, Tiger coache Jamie Riggs and Eagle coach Doug Hoehn expressed a few comments about their teams so far leading up to Friday, Aug. 31’s openers.
See our annual football preview that comes out Wednesday, Aug. 29, for more on the teams this season.
T.R. Miller:
“I was hoping that when we got in pads that we would move around a little better than we did most first days in pads, but was wrong because we didn’t,” Riggs said. “Right now, we just look real slow. I think we are just still trying to get used to our pads. We just look really slow right now. I have got about 20 percent of my team who are doing some things well. Some of them are trying to lead and they are giving me good effort at practice. Then I have the other 80 percent who are just trying to survive every day.”
Riggs shows 61 players on the 2012 roster with 15 seniors, 11 juniors, 23 sophomores and 12 freshmen.
The Tigers began their first official practice on Monday, Aug. 6 and saw their first day in pads on Thursday, Aug. 9.
The Tigers were set to have a scrimmage Friday night at 7 p.m.
The Tigers were ranked last week in the preseason football poll as the No. 9 team in class 3A.
The Tigers worked out at 7 a.m. the first week of practice and then again on Monday morning before moving their practice to the afternoons on Tuesday, Aug. 14.
T.R. Miller will officially begin their season Friday, Aug. 31 at Escambia County of Atmore. T.R. Miller will play at Flomaton on Friday, Aug. 24 in a preseason game. Game time is set for 7 p.m.
Here is the rest of the T.R. Miller Tiger football schedule:
• Friday, Aug. 31, Escambia County, Away, 7 p.m.
• Friday, Sept. 7, Opp, Home, 7 p.m.
• Friday, Sept. 14, Excel, Home, 7 p.m. (Legacy Game)
• Friday, Sept. 21, Bayside Academy, Away, 7 p.m.
• Friday, Sept. 28, Clarke County, Away, 7 p.m.
• Friday, Oct. 5, Cottage Hill, Homecoming, 7 p.m.
• Friday, Oct. 12, Southside Selma, Away, 7 p.m.
• Friday, Oct. 19, Straughn, Away, 7 p.m.
• Friday, Oct. 26, W.S. Neal, Home, 7 p.m.
• Friday, Nov. 2, Sweet Water, Home, 7 p.m.
W.S. Neal:
“At this point, comparing our team now to last year, I think we are improved overall as a team,” Hoehn said. “Our level of play, strength and our attitude is all improved.”
Hoehn shows 58 players on the 2012 roster with 17 seniors, 11 juniors, nine sophomores and 21 freshmen.
The Eagles began their first official practice on Monday, Aug. 6 and saw their first day in pads on Thursday, Aug. 9.
The Eagles had two-a-days on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays earlier in the week and then one-a-days on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
W.S. Neal will officially begin their season Friday, Aug. 31 at home against Holtville.
Here is the complete schedule for the W.S. Neal Eagles:
• Friday, Aug. 31, Holtville, Home
• Friday, Sept. 7, Straughn, Away
• Friday, Sept. 14, Cottage Hill, Away
• Friday, Sept. 21, Southside Selma, Home
• Friday, Sept. 28, Hillcrest, Home
• Friday, Oct. 5, Excel, Away
• Friday, Oct. 12, Bayside Academy, Home
• Friday, Oct. 19, Opp, Homecoming
• Friday, Oct. 26, T.R. Miller, Away
• Friday, Nov. 2, Millry, Away

About Adam Robinson

My name is Adam Robinson and I have been the Sports Editor of the Brewton Standard since September 2007. I cover all the local sports in the Brewton area. I am a 2007 graduate of Troy University with a degree in Print Journalism with a contract in Sports Information. I married Shari Lynn in June of 2007 and we welcomed our first child, Hatlee, in April of 2010.

email author More by Adam