Updated: TRM baseball’s opener for Monday rained out, now scheduled for Thursday.
(Editor’s note: T.R. Miller’s game Monday against Monroe County has been cancelled due to rain in the area. The game will be made up Thursday at 4 p.m. in Brewton.)
T.R. Miller Tiger head baseball coach Jim Hart has announced his team’s schedule for the 2013 season.
The first game and home opener for the Tigers will be when they host Monroe County at 4 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 25.
The Tigers were scheduled play their season opener on Saturday, Feb. 23 at 11 a.m. at Jefferson Davis Community College but an opponent was unable to be found for the Tigers. Last year, the Tigers played Catholic of Pensacola at JDCC.
The Tigers will play in 22 games this season with nine home games and 13 away—this includes games scheduled as doubleheaders. Of the 13 away games, three will be at Flomaton for the Escambia County Tournament.
The Tigers will also take part in the Opp Tournament. The tournament will begin on Monday, March 25 and end on Wednesday, March 27.
The Tigers will be competing against area opponents Bayside Academy, Cottage Hill and W.S. Neal this spring to be one of two teams from the area to make the playoffs.
T.R. Miller will begin their area schedule on Friday, March 22 with a road game at Bayside. Bayside will come to Brewton the next day for a Saturday doubleheader starting at noon and 2 p.m.
T.R. Miller and W.S. Neal will meet in their area games on Thursday, April 4 at 5 p.m. in Brewton with a doubleheader set for Friday in East Brewton at 4 and 6 p.m.
The final area series for the Tigers will be against Cottage Hill in the final three games of the season. T.R. Miller will travel to Cottage Hill on Thursday, April 11 for a 5 p.m. game. The two teams will square off again on Friday, April 12 for a 5 and 7 p.m. doubleheader in Brewton.
The Tigers of T.R. Miller ended their 2012 season with an 18-9 record. T.R. Miller finished as area runner-up last season and traveled to play the Opp Bobcats in the first round of the class 3A state playoffs. After taking game one of the best two-of-three series by a score of 5-2 over the Bobcats, the Tigers lost the second game of the doubleheader 6-5 to force a third and deciding game on Saturday.
In the deciding game, T.R. Miller saw their season end with an 11-4 loss.
Along with Hart as head coach, Chris Baxter serves as assistant coach for the Tigers.
Hart ended the 2012 season with 297 overall wins and needs three wins to reach 300 in his career at T.R. Miller.
Hart picked up his 200th win with the Tigers during the 2006 season.
Here is the complete schedule for the Tigers this spring:
• Saturday, Feb. 23, TBA, 11 a.m., JDCC-Cancelled (no opponent)
• Monday, Feb. 25, Monroe County, 4 p.m., Home
• Thursday, Feb.28, Escambia County Tourney vs. TBA, TBA, Flomaton
• Friday, March 1, Escambia County Tourney vs. TBA, TBA, Flomaton
• Saturday, March 2, Escambia County Tourney vs. TBA, TBA, Flomaton
• Monday, March 4, Monroe County, 4:30 p.m., Monroeville
• Tuesday, March 5, Flomaton JV/V, 4/6 p.m., Home
• Friday, March 8, Excel (DH), 4:30/6:30 p.m., Excel
• Saturday, March 9, JV Tournament, TBA, East Brewton
• Monday, March 11, W.S. Neal JV (DH), 4 p.m., East Brewton
• Thursday, March 14, Jay JV/V, 4/6 p.m., Home
• Friday, March 15, Clarke County (DH), 4:30 p.m., Grove Hill
• Monday, March 18, W.S. Neal JV (DH), 4 p.m., Home
• Friday, March 22, Bayside, 5 p.m. Daphne
• Saturday, March 23, Bayside (DH), noon/2 p.m., Home
• Monday, March 25, Opp Tournament, TBA, Opp
• Tuesday, March 26, Opp Tournament, TBA, Opp
• Wednesday, March 27, Opp Tournament, TBA, Opp
• Tuesday, April 2, Flomaton JV/V, 4/6 p.m., Flomaton
• Thursday, April 4, W.S. Neal, 5 p.m., Home
• Friday, April 5, W.S. Neal (DH), 4/6 p.m., East Brewton
• Tuesday, April 9, Excel JV/V, 4/6 p.m., Home
• Thursday, April 11, Cottage Hill, 5 p.m., Mobile
• Friday, April 12, Cottage Hill (DH), 5/7 p.m., Home
• Friday, April 19, 3A State Playoffs, TBA, TBA