T.R. Miller in hunt at state track meet
T.R. Miller girls won two events Friday during the first day of the state 3A track meet in Selma, putting them in second place going into today’s final day of competition.
And T.R. Miller and W.S. Neal can each boast of a state individual champion after the first day.
The T.R. Miller boys are in third place after the first day of events.
The girls won the 4×800 meter relay, and Lateshia Montgomery won the girls long jump event.
In boys competition, Josiah Nettles of W.S. Neal won first place in the 400 meter dash. W.S. Neal is in ninth place after the first day of competition.
Karisa Nelson of T.R. Miller won second place in the girls 1600 meters. Nelson was defending state champion and held the state record (from 2010) in the event, but she was edged Friday by Kylie Frank of Catholic Montgomery, who set a new state record with 5:11:11. Nelson actually bested her state record time Friday, running in 5:12:92.
In other events:
• Bailey Graves of T.R. Miller placed second in the boys pole vault. Trin Miller of T.R. Miller was eighth in that event.
• Rob Stokes of T.R. Miller won third place in boys 1600 meter run.
• William Whittle placed third in the boys discus throw.
• Makayla Harrison of T.R. Miller was fourth in girls high jump.
• Terry Samuel was fourth in the boys javelin throw.
• Darby Black of T.R. Miller was fifth in the boys shot put.
• Lateshia Montgomery and Morgan Rowell of T.R. Miller qualified for the girls 100 meter hurdles.
• T.R. Miller qualified for the girls 4×100 meter relay.
• Josiah Nettles qualified for the boys 200 meter dash.
• Allen Boyd of T.R. Miller qualified for the boys 110 meter hurdles.
• T.R. Miller qualified for the boys 4×100 meter relay.