Murder suspect arrested

Published 2:00 am Saturday, June 22, 2013

A Castleberry man remained behind bars in Conecuh County Friday without bond after being charged with one count of murder Monday by officials there. The suspect was arrested at a Brewton hospital where he had received medical treatment on the day of the incident.
Sidney James Baker, 45, was arrested after Conecuh County pieced together an investigation into the death of Baker’s estranged girlfriend, officials said.
Shannon Renee Griffin, 43, was found dead in her L Pond community home Sunday evening just after 5 p.m., officials said.
Baker was taken into custody late Sunday evening after being “irate” with doctors and staff at D.W. McMillan Memorial Hospital in Brewton.
Lt. Brock Holt with the Brewton Police Department said officers responded to a call that a patient at the facility needed to be restrained.
“When we arrived at the hospital, the suspect was being irate with the nurses and the doctors who were trying to treat him,” Holt said. “There was a Conecuh County officer at the facility as well and he had been taken into custody, but the officer needed some assistance in restraining the suspect.”
Although rumors circulated that the suspect had gained access to a weapon during the incident at the hospital, Holt said no weapons were seen during the time Brewton police officers were assisting in the situation.
“He was attempting to gain access to a firearm the Conecuh officer had,” Holt said. “But, it was never an issue during the time I was on the scene.”
The suspect was transported to Conecuh County following the incident Sunday night and was held at the county’s detention center.
He was formally charged with an open count of murder on Monday.
Officials involved in the investigation reportedly said the couple hat lived together at one time, but were not currently living in the same residence. Investigators also say they believe the incident that lead to Griffin’s death is the result of an on-going domestic dispute between the couple.
Officials in Conecuh County are continuing to investigate the case. No details on the cause of Griffin’s death have been released, but officials have said that she died from multiple injuries.