TRM volleyball to begin season Thursday in Flomaton
Published 5:00 am Wednesday, August 28, 2013
A roster loaded with seniors is expected to help lead the T.R. Miller Lady Tiger volleyball team during their 2013 season.
“We have seven seniors this year and this bunch has done a really good job,” T.R. Miller Lady Tiger head coach Greg White said. “They have done their time over the years. Towards the end of last year these guys saw a lot of playing time and really did well on the court together. After seeing that, we thought going into this summer, we would have a pretty good foundation. They have done real well this summer and everyone has their defined role. Last year, we were trying to find that spot. Now, everyone knows where they play. That has just made it real smooth. We are not looking for playing spot. Everyone knows where they are supposed to be and we are getting after it and that helps out a lot.”
Seniors this year for T.R. Miller will be Jessica Allan, Kara Bradley, Moriah Brundidge, Karisa Nelson, Abbi Roberts, Morgan Rowell and Amber Terry.
“Jessica is a setter for us and this is her second full year as a setter,” White said. “She hustles extremely well and does a good job there for us. Kara is playing libero for us this year. She will be playing on the back row and in the middle and does a good job for us. Moriah played two positions for us and will be a full-time setter for us. She and Jessica do a great job of running the offense for us.”
White said Nelson is playing the outside for him, but is very versatile.
“She will play middle some and setter some,” White said. “She does a lot of good things for us. Abbi played middle and outside for us last year and has become a full-time outside hitter. She does a great job there and that will be her spot this year. She will also play some middle, but will primarily be an outside hitter. Morgan Rowell was a first-year player with us last year. She started on JV and finished on varsity. She is just now figuring the game out, but will be a very good blocker for us and is learning how to hit. She is learning the game and has come a long way and I am very proud of her.”
Rounding out the seniors is Amber Terry.
“Amber is one of those that played outside for us and a little middle,” White said. “I finally settled on middle hitter for her. She is a full-time middle hitter us.”
Krystal Bell and Amelia Peach are the two other varsity players for the Lady Tigers.
“Krystal has played several roles for us,” White said. “She can play back row and set and can play on the outside. She is one of our top servers and will see a lot of playing time. Amelia is a sophomore that we have moved up to varsity this year.
“She plays the outside middle for us,” White said. “She can play wherever we need her, but mainly she is a middle hitter for us.”
In the area for the Lady Tigers will be W.S. Neal, Bayside Academy and Cottage Hill.
“Bayside is the team everyone has to go through,” White said. “You have to be cautious of W.S. Neal. You have to be cautious of Cottage Hill as well. Bayside and Cottage Hill were No. 1 and 2 in the state last year. It is tough having those two teams in your area every year. We are going to give it all we have got. Hopefully we can win the right games at the right times and put ourselves in position to make the playoffs.”
T.R. Miller will begin their season on Thursday, Aug. 29, at Flomaton.
Here is the complete 2013 schedule for T.R. Miller:
•Thursday, Aug. 29, Flomaton, Away, MS- 4 p.m., JV-5 p.m./ V-6 p.m.
• Tuesday, Sept. 3, J.U. Blacksher, Away, MS only, 5 p.m., DH
•Thursday, Sept. 5, Monroe County, Away, JV- 4:30 p.m., V-5:30 p.m.
• Saturday, Sept. 7, Bayside Tournament, Away, MS only, TBA
• Monday, Sept. 9, Bayside Academy, Home, JV-4:30 p.m., V-5:30 p.m.
• Tuesday, Sept. 10, Excel/Thomasville, Away, Varsity only, Thomasville-5:30 p.m., Excel 6:30 p.m.
• Thursday, Sept. 12, W.S. Neal, Home, MS- 4 p.m., JV-5 p.m., V-6 p.m.
• Tuesday, Sept. 17, Cottage Hill, Away, JV-4:30 p.m./ V-5:30 p.m.
• Thursday, Sept. 19, Flomaton, Home, MS- 4 p.m., JV-5 p.m./V-6 p.m.
• Monday, Sept. 23, Bayside, Away, JV-4:30 p.m./V-5:30 p.m.
• Tuesday, Sept. 24, W.S. Neal, Away, MS- 4 p.m., JV-5 p.m./V-6 p.m.
• Thursday, Sept. 26, Andalusia, Home (BMS gym), MS- 4 p.m., JV-5 p.m./V-6 p.m.
• Tuesday, Oct. 1, Cottage Hill, Home (BMS gym), JV-4:30 p.m., V-5:30 p.m.
• Thursday, Oct. 3, Jay, Away, JV-4:30 p.m., V- 5:30 p.m.
• Saturday, Oct. 5, Escambia County Tournament, JDCC, Varsity only, TBA
• Tuesday, Oct. 8, Excel/Jay, Home, Varsity only, Jay-4 p.m., Excel 6 p.m.
• Thursday, Oct. 10, Monroe County, Home, JV-4:30 p.m., V-5:30 p.m.
• Tuesday, Oct. 15, Andalusia, Away, JV- 4 p.m., V-5 p.m.
• Monday, Oct. 21, Area tournament, TBA, TBA
• Friday, Oct. 25-Saturday, Oct. 26, Super Regional tournament, TBA, TBA
• Wednesday, Oct. 30-Thursday, Oct. 31, Elite 8 State tournament, Birmingham, TBA