Congressional primary vote is today
Polls open at 7 a.m. today in a primary to choose Republican and Democratic candidates in the race to replace U.S. Rep. Jo Bonner.
Voters in Escambia, Baldwin, Mobile and other counties in Congressional District 1 will choose from a wide pool of Republican candidates. Two Democratic candidates are also running.
Among the Republican candidates:
• Bradley Byrne, a former state senator and former Republican candidate for governor, who also served as the past chancellor of the Alabama Department of Postsecondary Education;
• Daniel Dyas, a small business owner;
• State Rep. Chad Fincher, a small business owner;
• Wells Griffith, an attorney who is also the deputy chief of staff for the Republican National Committee;
• Quin Hillyer, a conservative columnist for the American Spectator;
• Jessica James, a Realtor and grant writer for Bishop State Community College;
• Sharon Powe, a legal assistant for the U.S. Small Business Administration;
• David “Thunder” Thornton, a retired Shell production specialist and retail employee;
• Dean Young, a Realtor and small business owner who is a former candidate for Congress.
The Democratic candidates are:
• Lula Albert-Kaigler, a retired self-employed worker;
• Burton LeFlore, who works in real estate.
Independent candidate James Hall, a former U.S. Marine, has also qualified for the race.
He will be automatically be listed on the general election ballot in November or December.