ALDOT: Beware of icy conditions
Published 2:05 pm Monday, January 27, 2014
With wintry weather forecasts threatening to cause hazardous road conditions, the Alabama Department of Public Safety and the Alabama Department of Transportation are encouraging motorists to drive with extreme caution and avoid roadways when weather conditions are prohibitive — particularly early in the morning as bridges may contain icy patches.
Drivers can check the conditions of Alabama’s state and federal highways on the Road Conditions page on ALDOT’s website, www.dot.state.al.us.
The public also may also check ALDOT’s Traffic Information and Cameras page for additional information on traffic delays, construction projects and other highway conditions from the ALDOT Home Page.
ALDOT is making preparations and mobilizing personnel and resources across portions of the state which may be affected, to respond to icy bridge/road conditions and other adverse impacts from the approaching winter storm. ALDOT will monitor roadway conditions and will make every attempt to keep highways passable and as safe for travel as possible.
Motorists are encouraged to monitor local news for information on weather conditions and frequently check road conditions and travel advisories. To report traffic crashes or other emergencies to state troopers, motorists with cell phones may dial *HP (*47) toll-free.
If driving becomes necessary, motorists should use caution and remain alert for work zones, highway maintenance personnel and emergency vehicles. Motorists also are reminded to obey Alabama’s “move over” law.
In addition, state troopers offer the following tips to help ensure safe winter travel:
• Avoid travel, if possible, when icy or other extremely hazardous driving conditions develop.
• Keep vehicles in good operating condition. Check antifreeze levels and use windshield washer solution suitable for freezing weather conditions. Keep gas tanks at least half full.
• Remember weather and roadway conditions may change quickly. Adapt speeds to existing roadway conditions, and be alert to changing weather and the possibility of icy, slippery roads.
• Pay particular attention to bridges and overpasses, which have a tendency to develop extremely hazardous “black
• During inclement weather, turn on headlights and windshield wipers, and maintain a safe distance between your vehicle and other vehicles.
• Keep blankets, a first-aid kit, a charged cell phone and other emergency supplies in your vehicle.