20 candidates seeking election
Some 20 candidates have qualified for the 2014 primary election.
Qualifying ended on Friday, and local party chairs announced the final list of candidates. They are as follows:
• County Commission District 1: incumbent David Stokes (D) and Ted Jennings (D);
• County Commission District 3: incumbent Larry White (D);
• County Commission District 5: incumbent David Quarker (D) and Katrina Wallace (R);
• Tax Collector: Tim Pettis (R) and Todd White (D)
• Tax Assessor: Thad Moore Jr. (D) and Malcom “Bub” Gideons (D) and Sara McMillian (R);
• Sheriff: incumbent Grover Smith (D) and Heath Jackson (R);
• County School Board District 1: Debbie McDonald Quarles (R) and Kevin Hoomes (R); and,
• County School Board District 5: William Grissett (D) and Wilma Q. Smith (D).
In addition to the county offices, statewide offices are up for election as well. Those on the ballot will include:
• House District 66: incumbent Alan Baker (R);
• Senate District 22: Republicans Danny Joyner, Stephen Sexton and Harry D’Olive. The Standard was unable to confirm whether or not the incumbent Marc Keahey will seek re-election. Calls to the state Democratic Party office went unanswered Friday afternoon.