Schedules announced for JDCC volleyball, TRM varsity and B-team football, and WSN varsity football
By Adam Robinson
The 2014 version of the Jefferson Davis Community College volleyball team will tip off their season Saturday, Aug. 23 with a road tournament at Selma’s Patriot Classic.
The schedule for JDCC this season shows 20 total games and the tournament in Selma. JDCC will play nine home games and 11 away games.
The Lady Warhawks will have 14 conference games against seven conference foes. Conference opponents for JDCC this year include Wallace State-Selma, Snead, Faulkner State, Lawson, Southern Union, Gadsden and Wallace-Selma.
JDCC’s first home game of the season will be against Southern Union on Friday, Sept. 5.
The Lady Warhawks of JDCC will be under the direction of new head coach Steven Dickey this season. Dickey replaces Allen Gainer, who served as head coach for JDCC for one season.
“For as long as I have been here, volleyball has never had a coach that wasn’t splitting time with another sport,” Gainer said. “When (athletic director) Mr. (David) Jones told me that the school would have an opportunity to hire someone specifically for volleyball, I thought that it was in the best interest of both volleyball and basketball to go that direction. I am excited about the girls that have agreed to play this year, and I look forward to seeing them have a great season with Coach Dickey’s help.”
Gainer also serves as the school’s basketball coach.
Here is the complete schedule for JDCC volleyball this season:
• Saturday, Aug. 23, Patriot Classic, Selma, TBA
• Wednesday, Aug. 27, Faulkner, Bay Minette, 6 p.m.
• Saturday, Aug. 30, Lawson, Birmingham, 2 p.m.
• Thursday, Sept. 4, Wallace-Selma, Selma, 5:30 p.m.
• Friday, Sept. 5, Southern Union, Home, 6:30 p.m.
• Saturday, Sept. 6, University of Mobile/Bethel, Mobile, 9/11 a.m.
• Thursday, Sept. 11, Gadsden, Home, 6 p.m.
• Friday, Sept. 12, Hanceville, Home, 2 p.m.
• Monday, Sept. 15, Huntingdon, Montgomery, 6 p.m.
• Wednesday, Sept. 17, Lawson, Home, 7:30 p.m.
• Friday, Sept. 19, Hanceville, Hanceville, 2 p.m.
• Friday, Sept. 26, Gadsden, Gadsden, 4 p.m.
• Friday, Sept. 26, Snead, Boaz, 7 p.m.
• Monday, Sept. 29, University of Mobile, Home, 6 p.m.
• Saturday, Oct. 4, Southern Union, Wadley, 3:30 p.m.
• Wednesday, Oct. 8, Faulkner, Home, 6 p.m.
• Monday, Oct. 13, Selma, Home, 7 p.m.
• Thursday, Oct. 16, Pensacola State, Pensacola, 6 p.m.
• Tuesday, Oct. 21, Snead, Home, 2 p.m.
• Monday, Oct. 27, Pensacola, Home, 6 p.m.
• Saturday-Sunday, Nov. 1-2, Region Tournament, TBA, TBA
T.R. Miller’s football team will open their 2014 season with a road game against Andalusia.
T.R. Miller’s new football region for the next two seasons includes: Bayside Academy, Cottage Hill, Excel, Geneva, Hillcrest-Evergreen, and Opp.
Schools now can have 11 dates to play 10 game beginning August 21 and 22. Schools can option to play a scrimmage game in week 1, but if no scrimmage game occurs in week 1, they will have 10 dates to play 10 games.
Non-region dates will be weeks 1,2, 6, and 11 with region dates set for weeks 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9 and 10.
All playoff games will begin at the same time with class 7A having an open week the week of the semifinals for all other classes.
The class Super 7 championship game will begin on Wednesday at 3 p.m.
Here is the 2014 T.R. Miller Football Schedule:
• Aug. 22, Andalusia, Away
• Aug. 29, Tallassee, Home
• Sept. 5, *Bayside Academy, Away
• Sept. 12, *Cottage Hill, Home
• Sept. 19, *Hillcrest, Away
• Sept. 26, Escambia County, Away
• Oct. 3, *Opp, Home
• Oct. 10, *Geneva, Away
• Oct. 17, OPEN
• Oct. 24, *Excel, Homecoming
• Oct. 31, W.S. Neal, Home
*Region *** All games start at 7 p.m.
2014 T.R. Miller B-team Football Schedule:
• Monday, Aug. 25, Excel, Home
• Tuesday, Sept. 2, Hillcrest, Away
• Monday, Sept. 8, W.S. Neal, Home
• Monday, Sept. 15, Opp, Home
• Monday, Sept. 22, W.S. Neal, Away
• Monday, Sept. 29, Hillcrest, Home
• Monday, Oct. 6, Excel, Away
*** All games start at 6:30 p.m.
W.S. Neal High School will open their 2014 football in the coming weeks with a road trip to Jacksonville, Fla.
W.S. Neal’s region opponents for the next two seasons in class 4A will be Clarke County, Monroe County, Satsuma, Southside-Selma, Thomasville, and UMS-Wright.
Here is W.S. Neal’s schedule for 2014:
• Aug. 22, Bishop Snyder High School, Away (Jacksonville, Florida)
• Aug. 29, Escambia County, Home
• Sept. 5, *Clarke County, Away
• Sept. 12, OPEN
• Sept. 19, *UMS-Wright, Home
• Sept. 26, Calhoun, Homecoming
• Oct. 3, *Monroe County, Away
• Oct. 10, *Thomasville, Home
• Oct. 17, Satsuma, Away
• Oct. 24, *Southside-Selma, Home
• Oct. 31, T.R. Miller, Away
*** All games start at 7 p.m.
As the days get closer, fans of the T.R. Miller Tigers and W.S. Neal Eagles can hardly wait to see... read more