1 dead in shed fire

Published 4:46 pm Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Police are still trying to determine the circumstances that left an East Brewton man dead after a fire early Saturday morning on Jernigan Road.
Sgt. Patrick Caylor with the Brewton Police Department said Monday that 36-year-old Daryl Steadman Jr. died from apparent smoke inhalation following the blaze.
“We received the call at 4:19 a.m. and arrived to find a storage building engulfed in flames,” Caylor said. “Firemen with the Brewton Fire Department and McCall Volunteer Fire Department worked to distinguish the flames. One female victim was transported to D.W. McMillan Hospital for treatment.
“While a search of the structure was conducted, Mr. Steadman was found inside the building,” he said.
The building had no power and no utilities; however, power was being supplied to the shed by extension cord.
“We believe that the extension cord contributed to the fire; however, the circumstances remain under investigation,” Caylor said.
The state fire marshal’s office is assisting in the case, Caylor said.
The female victim was identified as 36-year-old Alicia Nibarger, the homeowner. She was later transferred to another medical facility where she is expected to make a full recovery.

Email newsletter signup