Airport seeking $149K grant
The Brewton Municipal Airport could see some improvements to its infrastructure if a state department of transportation grant is approved.
City council members Monday committed $8,325 in matching funds for the $149,850 project that, if approved, would install new draining at the site and allow for long-term planning.
The grant application will be submitted this month, City Clerk John Angel said. Notification of the award will be made sometime after the first of the year.
In other business, the council:
• set two Dec. 8 public hearings for discussion on reversionary clause as well as changing the requirements on permission to hold a farmer’s market;
• approved the city’s list of alcohol licenses;
• voted to purchase a 2015 Silverado 3500HD from Peach Chevrolet for $46,862 for the gas department;
• voted to surplus and donate a 1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager van to the county’s meals on wheels program; and,
• gave approval to the First Baptist Church-Brewton youth group to use Jennings Park on Nov. 22 for its Turkey Trot 5K. Proceeds from the event will support the group’s upcoming mission trip to Costa Rica.