JDCC basketball starts with loss
Published 9:57 am Tuesday, November 11, 2014
Jefferson Davis Community College head basketball coach Allen Gainer and his team began their 2014-15 season Saturday at Southern Union.
JDCC’s current roster shows 14 players with six sophomores and eight freshman. The roster shows 11 players are from Alabama; two from Florida and one is from Georgia.
Sophomore players include: Adrian Rich (Georgiana), Fletcher Forte (Pensacola, Fla.), Keenan Williams (Atlanta), Darren Wilson (Sylacauga), Zollie Johnson (Birmingham), and Brandon Davis (Birmingham).
Freshman players include: Truman Whitaker (Hartford), Ty’Qwan Bonner (Birmingham), Lance Davis (Andalusia), Rodney Gilbert (Sylacauga), LaBrannon Nix (Headland), D’Metrius Lemon (Lafayette), Jarvis Knight (Atmore), and Jerry “LJ” Aaron (Crestview, Fla.)
JDCC will play 23 games during the 2014-15 season with 11 being at home and 12 on the road. Two of the away games for JDCC will be in a tournament in Tallahassee on Nov. 26-27.
JDCC will have 14 conference games with seven at home and seven on the road. Conference games for JDCC include games against: Bishop State, Enterprise, Chattahoochee Valley, Wallace-Selma, Alabama Southern, LBW and Faulkner State.
The Jefferson Davis Community College Warhawk basketball team started their season 0-1 Saturday in Wadley as they suffered a 72-55 loss to Southern Union.
The Warhawks were outscored by 18 points in the first half, 40-22, but held a 33-32 advantage in the second half.
Fletcher Forte led JDCC with 10 total rebounds as he had five on offense and five on defense. Keenan Williams led with three assists and Adrian Rich had two steals. Forte finished with a double-double in the win as the led with 19 points.
Williams added 11 points while Jerry Aaron had nine. Rich finished with six points, Darren Wilson had five and Ty’Qwan Bonner had four. LaBrannon Nix had one point in the loss.
JDCC made 15 turnovers in the loss to eight for Southern Union.
JDCC shot 34 percent from the field, 30 percent from the 3-point area and 53.6 percent from the free throw line. SU went 47.1 percent from the free throw line, 33.3 percent from the 3-point area and 33.3 percent from the free throw line.
Here is the complete schedule for JDCC’s Warhawk basketball team:
• Saturday, Nov. 8, Southern Union, Away, 3 p.m.
• Saturday, Nov. 15, Marion Military, Away, 3:30 p.m.
• Tuesday, Nov. 18, Lawson, Home, 7 p.m.
• Thursday, Nov. 20, Spring Hill, Away, 7 p.m.
• Wednesday, Nov. 26, Tallahassee Community College, Tallahassee, 7:30 p.m.
• Thursday, Nov. 27, Northwest Florida, Tallahassee, 3:30 p.m.
• Saturday, Dec. 6, Southern Union, Home, 3 p.m.
• Tuesday, Jan. 6, Marion Military, Home, 6:30 p.m.
• Thursday, Jan. 8, Bishop State, Away, 7 p.m.
• Tuesday, Jan. 13, Enterprise State, Home, 7 p.m.
• Wednesday, Jan. 14, Faulkner State, Home, 7 p.m.
• Tuesday, Jan. 20, Chattahoochee Valley, Away, 7 p.m.
• Thursday, Jan. 22, Wallace-Selma, Away, 7:30 p.m.
• Monday, Jan. 26, Alabama Southern, Home, 7 p.m.
• Thursday, Jan. 29, LBW, Away, 7 p.m.
• Monday, Feb. 2, Spring Hill, Home, 7 p.m.
• Thursday, Feb. 5, Bishop State, Home, 7 p.m.
• Monday, Feb. 9, Enterprise State, Away, 7 p.m.
• Thursday, Feb. 12, Faulkner State, Away, 7 p.m.
• Monday, Feb. 16, Chattahoochee Valley, Home, 7 p.m.
• Tuesday, Feb. 19, Wallace-Selma, Home, 7 p.m.
• Monday, Feb. 23, Alabama Southern, Away, 7 p.m.
• Wednesday, Feb. 25, LBW, Home, 7 p.m.
• Saturday, Feb. 28, ACCC Tournament (first round), If necessary, TBA
• TBA, ACCC Region Tournament, TBA, TBA