WSN track sends 4 to state
Four W.S. Neal athletes will be heading to this week’s state track meet in Gulf Shores, said Coach Dewan Salter Monday.
Following weekend competition in Smith’s Station, Samuel Quenton, Malcolm Hawthorne, Kody Kaufman and Kelana “KeKe” Floyd emerged as forerunners in a number of competitions.
“Overall, we did very well – really well,” Salter said of the team’s performance at the sectional meet. “There was a lot of good effort by everyone there. We have several that came real close to making the state team, but just didn’t quite make it. That’s the level of competition we faced. Still, I’m very proud of them.”
W.S. Neal’s boys’ and girls’ team ranked fifth and seventh respectively at the state semi-finals.
Top scorers for the boys’ teams included:
• 100-meter dash: Quenton Samuel, third, 11.44; Malcolm Hawthorne, fourth, 11.48; and Kody Kaufman, sixth, 11.8.
• 200-meter dash: Quenton Samuel, third, 23.24, and Malcolm Hawthorne, seventh, 23.85.
• 300-meter hurdles: Eric Burgh, sixth, 50.15, and Chad Adamcyzk, seventh, 50.35.
• 400-meter dash: Kody Kaufman, seventh, 54.29.
• long jump: Kody Kaufman, second, 19-10.
Top scorers for the girls’ teams included:
• 100-meter dash: Kelana Floyd, fifth place, 13.28.
• 200-meter dash: Kelana Floyd, fifth place, 27.67.
• javelin: Michaela Sanders, sixth, 67-02.
From staff reports The Jefferson Davis Community College Lady Warhawks softball team saw their season come to an end this... read more