Grede gives $30K to TRM
Thanks to one Brewton company, the athletic complex renovations at T.R. Miller High School is back to its original plan.
At Monday’s city school board meeting, Superintendent Lynn Smith announced Grede – the local manufacturer of critical safety automotive components – pledged $30,000 for the project.
The work is part of a $1.715 million renovation project at the baseball and football fields. Bids for the project came in at $1.96 million, which originally required $246,000 in cuts to the project.
At the football field, there will be a new press box with seven viewing spots and an area for video recording. Also, the home bleachers will be re-bricked along with new lighting, upgraded bleachers and handicap-accessible walkways.
At the baseball field, there will be a new grass infield, have new fencing, lighting, scoreboard and additionally there will be an all new concrete surfaced plaza between the football stadium and the baseball field.
Earlier this month, the city of Brewton announced it would donate up to $100,000 for the project’s completion.
“That leaves us around $59,702 to be able to do restrooms and concessions on that farthest west side of the baseball field,” Smith said. “We hope to receive more donations to meet that. If not, that money will have to come from the general fund.”
Smith said the changes had to be board approved to meet the May 30 deadline.
“In order to do the other project we have to have the money pledged by May 30 because we have to be 60 days from April 1 to do it,” he said.
And board members agreed with Smith and approved an $189,702 change order to bring the project back to its original state.
Several personnel actions were also approved and included:
• the resignations of Sherry Cooper, Brewton Middle School counselor; Greg White, Brewton Middle School physical education; Sandy Cauley, regional reading coach; and Glenn Murray, TRM custodian.
• renewing the contracts of Amber Dunaway, Brewton Elementary School second grade teacher; Beth Pickens, BES special education teacher; Caroline Schultz, BMS special education teacher; Perry Updike, BMS social science teacher; Damon Anderson, TRM band director; Laura Collins, TRM Spanish teacher; Deborah Murray, TRM English teacher; David Jones, director of programs; Kim Flores, BES special education teacher; Jacquelyn Bradley, BMS band director; Andrew Roberts, BMS English teacher; Charlotte Smith, BMS English teacher; Tammy Coale, BES third grade teacher; Chastidy Lloyd, BES first grade teacher; Heather Ray, BMS English teacher; and Kristen Roberts, BMS social science teacher; and,
• hiring Mikel Riggs, physical education teacher (school to be determined).
In other business, the board:
• re-elected Stephanie Walker as chairman of the school board and Keith Miller as vice-chairman.
• approved a change to the student handbook for T.R. Miller High School and Brewton Middle School to add jeggings to school dress code.