Obituaries for the Wed., Sept. 9, 2015, edition

Published 5:15 pm Tuesday, September 8, 2015


Lyman Frank Peevy, 83, of Travis Road in Brewton, passed away Sunday, Sep. 6, 2015, at his residence after a brief illness.
Funeral services will be held today, Wed., Sept. 9, at 11 a.m., from the Chapel of Craver’s Funeral Home with the Rev. Larry Watts and the Rev. John Hickman officiating. Interment with military honors will follow in Elim Cemetery with Craver’s Funeral Home of Brewton directing.
He was a native and life-long resident of Brewton. He was a retired recovery operator for 34 years at Container Corporation, as well as a funeral assistant with Craver’s Funeral Home Inc., and a member of the First Baptist Church in East Brewton. He was a United States Army veteran serving in the Korean War.
He is survived by his wife of 61 years, Frances Ball Peevy of Brewton; two daughters, Sheila Diane (David) Davis of Monroeville and Deborah Octavia (George) Davis of Lake Martin; brother; Leonard (Lucille) Peevy of Brewton; five granddaughters, Shae (Scott) Stafford, Leah (Keith) Payne, Kim (John) Hickman, Tera (Ronnie) Dennis and Tava Perkett; 12 great grandchildren, Libby Stafford, Andrew Stafford, Lauren Kate Stafford, Simon Stafford, Grayson Payne, Miles Payne, Isaac Hickman, Isabel Hickman, Olivia Dennis, Drake Dennis, Madison Perkett and Talynn Perkett; and Godchildren, Daphne (Jeff) Thompson and daughter, Makayla, of Brewton, Heather (Ryan) Bedsole and children – Aaliyah, Alonna and Addisyn of Brewton.
He was preceded in death by his brothers, Luther, Malvin, Durwood, Maxwell and Jack Peevy.
Pallbearers will be Scott Stafford, Keith Payne, Ronnie Dennis, Jeff Thompson, Ryan Bedsole and Arlan Shelly.
To share your memories and condolences with the family, visit


Email newsletter signup

Albert Alex “Al” Breceda Jr., 78, passed away on Wed., Sept. 2, 2015, at his Atmore residence.
He was born in Santa Monica, Calif., and had been a resident of Atmore for the past 11 years, coming from Oxnard, Calif. He was a U.S. Air Force veteran. During his working years, he worked in maintenance for Hardman Aerospace. He was a member of New Home Church.
He is survived by his wife, Diane Breceda; his mother, Betty Sandaval; a son, the Rev. Steve (Martha) Breceda; three daughters, Brenda Breceda, all of Atmore, and Sandra Breceda of Culver City, Calif., and Dolores Breceda Temple of Rapid City, S.D.; sister, Gloria Castille of New Mexico; two grandchildren, Rosie (Rowdy) Boyte and Haley (Anthony) Centers; and one great-grandchild, Liza Centers.
Funeral services were held on Fri., Sept. 4, at 10 a.m. at New Home Church with the Rev. Steve Breceda officiating.  Interment followed in Green Acres Memorial Gardens with Craver’s Funeral Home of Brewton directing.
Pallbearers were Anthony Centers, Rowdy Boyte, Anthony Jordan, Chuck Marshal, Anthony Hall and Chad Smedley.
Honorary pallbearers were Horace Pickern, Grover Barnes, Ardis Rowland and Jose Cisneros.
To share your memories and condolences with the family, visit


Claney Mack Pettis, 92, of Brewton, passed away Wed., Sept. 2, 2015, at Century Health Center.
He was a lifelong resident of Escambia County and a member of Pineview Pentecostal Holiness Church. He worked for T.R. Miller Mill Company and was the owner of Pettis Pole & Logging. He was an avid hunter and fisherman and adored his grandchildren.
He is survived by his wife of 73 years, Porcia Leah Pettis; son, Thomas M. (Shannon) Pettis; a daughter, Elizabeth (Buck) Smith, all of Wallace; five grandsons, Samuel Tyson (Julie) Smith, Russell Todd (Jennifer) Smith, Thomas Michael (Chasity) Pettis, Skylar Brittingham and Aaron Brittingham; and six great grandchildren, Haley Pettis, Ashlyn Pettis, Anderson Smith, Emma Smith, Gracie Smith and Eli Smith.
Funeral services will be held on Sat., Sept. 5, at 11 a.m., from the chapel of Craver’s Funeral Home with the Rev. James Peacock officiating. Burial followed in Hanberry Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, the family requested that donations be made to the Hanberry Cemetery Fund.
To share your memories and condolences with the family, visit


George Henry Harrison, 82, of Brewton, passed away Thurs., Sept. 3, 2015, at his residence.
A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m., today, Wed., Sept. 9, at Ridout’s Southern Heritage Funeral Home in Pelham with the Rev. Jack Fitts officiating. Visitation will be at 1 p.m. A memorial service will be held at First Baptist Church of Brewton at a later date.
He is survived by his wife of 59 years, Lettie Pearson Harrison; daughter, Teresa (Keith) Caudle of Hoover; son, Mark Harrison of Brewton; granddaughter, Abby (Jimmy) Bohler of Woodstock, Ga.; and grandson, Neil (Emily) Caudle of Homewood.
He was preceded in death by his father, Robert Lee Harrison, mother, Irene Brewer Harrison, and sister, Evelyne Harrison McCollum.
He was born in Rockmart, Ga., where attended Rockmart High School and played on the 1950 National Championship Rockmart football team. He went to the University of Kentucky on football scholarship where he played for Coach Paul Bear Bryant.
He completed his bachelor of science degree with a double major in mathematics and physics from North Georgia College in 1954.
He and wife, Lettie, met while working at Lockheed Aircraft Corporation in Marietta, Ga., where he was a flight test engineer. They married in 1956. In 1963, they moved to Florida where he worked for RCA at Cape Canaveral on the inertial guidance system that would guide the early manned space flights.
In 1965, he joined Boeing Corporation in Huntsville to work on man’s first lunar landing. In 1969, he moved his family to Brewton, where he worked for Container Corporation of America for 20 years, implementing computerized automation.  In 1989, he joined the U.S. Army Missile Command in Huntsville, working on the HAWK and TOW Missile Defense Systems. He retired in 1999 and returned to live in Brewton.
The couple have resided in Brewton for a total of 36 years. He was a founding member of Harbor City Baptist Church in Eau Gallie, Fla. He was ordained as a deacon at Sherwood Park Baptist Church in Huntsville.  At First Baptist Church of Brewton, he served as a deacon, a member of the pastor search committee and the nursery director.
In Brewton, he established the first Pee Wee Football team in 1969.  His teams won several championships and Coach Harrison taught them about character, commitment, discipline and teamwork.  He also coached youth baseball and officiated high school football.
He dedicated his life to helping other people. He was an athlete, a mathematician, a physicist, a rocket scientist and a coach.  But more important to him was being a good son, husband, father, brother and friend.  Above all, he sought to please his Heavenly Father by being His servant.

East Brewton

Joel Arlen Davis, 59, of Johns Road, passed away Fri., Aug. 28, 2015, in a local hospital after a brief illness.
Memorial services were held, Thurs., Sept. 3, at 6 p.m. at Williams. Memorial Chapel Funeral Home with Pastor Carl Shiver officiating.
He was a native and long time resident of Pensacola, Fla., before moving to Brewton eight years ago. He was of the Baptist faith and a former welder/iron worker in the construction industry. He was an avid hunter, fisherman and loved drag racing.
He is survived by two daughters, Amanda (Donald) Hardy and Natalie (Greg) Brault, both of Pensacola, Fla.; one sister, June (Zack) Taylor of Pace, Fla.; three grandchildren, Waylon Hardy, Tyler Hardy and Gatlin Hardy; a nephew, Jeremy Davis; and a sister-in-law, Joyce Davis of Pace.
He was preceded in death by his parents, Wiley and Elizabeth Johns Davis; his wife, Kathy Davis, and a brother, Wylie Davis Jr.
Condolences may be sent and obituaries can be read at


William Jackson Jr., 79, died peacefully, Sept. 1, 2015, at Robert Wood Johnson in Somerville, N.J.
Funeral services were held Sat., Sept. 5, at 2:30 p.m. at Greater Mt. Calvary Missionary Baptist Church with Rev. Danny Benjamin officiating. Burial followed at Second Bethlelem Church Cemetery with Presley-Fluker Funeral Home directing.
He was born in Brewton to William “Bill H.” and Linnie Mae Jackson on June 3, 1936.
He graduated from Southern Normal High School. He left to served in the U.S. Army from 1955-1957 and he served in the Reserves for an additional four years and ranked as Specialist 3rd Class. In the early 1960s, he moved to Plainfield, N.J. with his former wife, Gloria Walls, where they raised their children. He was employed for more than 25 years as a Black Seal Watch Engineer at American Cyanamid in Bound Book, N.J., until he retired in 1996.
He enjoyed spending quiet time with his family, traveling and especially his cats. His grandchildren fondly recall his sense of humor. He was honored as one of the original founders of Plainfield Pop Warner Football in Plainfield. He had a quiet demeanor but he was always readily available to share advice and support for his children. He was a really hard worker and was keen on teaching his children solid work ethics. He loved his children and grandchildren and had their photos proudly displayed on the walls in his home. His family enjoyed his cooking, especially his peach cobbler. He really enjoyed gardening and loved taking care of his rose bushes. He had a natural gift for gardening and truly believed that “to yourself be true” and “to live life on your own terms”, which he did.
He was preceded in death by his parents.
He is survived by his brothers, Donald (Margaret) Jackson and James Everett Jackson; his sister, Shirley (James C.) Frear; his children, Kenneth Jackson, Darryl Jackson, Teresa Jackson, Phillip Jackson, William Jackson and Shirley ( Addison Sr.) Hayden; 17 grandchildren; 12 great-grandchildren; a host of loving nieces, nephews and other relatives and friends.