TRM, FHS XC race
Teams have good showings
More than 20 teams competed in Saturday’s T.R. Miller Challenge at Brewton Middle School.
Described as one of the most challenging 5K courses in the state, the race featured local athletes from TRM and Flomaton High School as well as others throughout South Alabama and Northwest Florida.
In varsity boys competition, Fairhope, Baldwin County and Baker, Fla., took home top honors. TRM finished eighth in the race while Flomaton finished 15th.
In the varsity girls competition, Fairhope, St. Paul’s Episcopal and Tate finished first through third respectively while Miller’s girls finished eighth and Flomaton finished 17th.
Coach Rob Atkinson said he was proud of both teams’ effort in the race.
“We had several athletes who finished the race with new personal record times, which shows their hard work in preparing for this meet,” Atkinson said. “When you take into consideration that our course is one of the hardest in the state, it says a lot about both of our teams.”
The teams will travel to Northview High School in Bratt, Fla., Thursday to compete.
In the boys’ race Saturday, top Miller runners included:
• Travis Carlson, junior, with 18:21;
• Micah Flores, freshman, with 18:38;
• Andrew Pollite, senior, with 19:33;
• Tucker McDaniel, sophomore, with 19:48;
• Noah Morris, senior, with 19:53;
• Tanner McDaniel, sophomore, with 19:56;
• Rider Jernigan, freshman, with 19:57; and,
• Tailand Mitchell, freshman, with 20:14.
Top FHS runners included:
• Duane Hamby, junior, with 18:43;
• Dustin Reeves, junior, with 19:31; and,
• Hayden Hammonds, junior, with 20:47.
TRM junior and National Elite athlete Allie Nelson was second across the finish line behind Isabel Valenzuela of St. Paul’s Episcopal. Other top Miller female runners included:
• Tarah Townsend, junior, with 22:37;
• Madison Lum, eighth grader, with 23:28;
• Carmen Knowles, junior, with 23:30;
• Hannah Douglas, seventh grader, with 23:42;
• Ora Nelson, sophomore, with 24:28; and,
• Samantha Morris, eighth grader, with 24:51.
Coming across the finish line for FHS was:
• Lexi Jones, senior, with a time of 26:22;
• Shea Jackson, freshman, with 27:54;
• Karrie Kornegay, senior, with 28:02;
• Charley Boutwell, seventh grader, with 29:11;
• Daizee Angus, sophomore, with 35:46; and,
• Madison Buffington, senior, with 36:22.
In the boy’s JV 3K run, freshman Ashton Hines took first place with an 11:08, while seventh grader Joe Luttrell ended the race at 13:07.04.
Kaleigh Thompson finished seventh for the TRM JV girls with a time of 14:02.54 in the 3K race.
No FHS athletes competed in the JV 3K race.