Time marches on

Published 4:30 am Wednesday, January 13, 2016

By Lydia Grimes

feature reporter


Thirty-five years ago in 1981 the new year had gotten off to a good start with two sets of twins being born at D.W. McMillan Hospital as the New Year’s babies.

Former East Brewton mayor, Malcolm Edwards, age 71, died. He had served two terms as the state representative from Escambia County. He was first elected as mayor in 1971 and was reelected in 1976, He served until 1980. During his administration Fort Crawford Park was developed and the city municipal complex was constructed.

I have decided that I lived in a bubble for many years after I came to live in Brewton. There are so many things that happened that I can’t remember. I do remember Mayor Edwards, but it seems to be a vague memory. There are so many things I have read in these old volumes that somehow just passed me by. I was a stay-at-home wife and mother and that is how my days evolved. I don’t regret it, but I do wish I had paid more attention to what was going on around me.

I read an ad for the A&P Grocery Store that brought back some memories. Mayonnaise was selling for 99 cents, Soft-n-Pretty tissue was 89 cents a four roll package and two heads of Iceburg lettuce for 89 cents. Ahh, the good old days.

The Brewton area was hit by a cold wave that caused large icicles to form on the fountain at Jefferson Davis Junior College. But, as is so often the case, temperatures began to rise and the icicles were soon melting. There’s one thing about the weather here – if you don’t like it, wait a couple of hours and it will change.

I noticed the outbreak of shootings in the Riverview-Jay Road area. No one was hurt, but there were close misses. There were four reports of shootings including one at the store at Riverview, which belonged to the Brantley family at the time.

The Ritz Theatre was showing “Wilderness Family, Part Two.” This one was probably about the family that was ship wrecked on an island and had to learn to exist without the comforts of home. Judging by the name, they must have been ship wrecked two times.

Thirty-five years ago Piggly Wiggly was not only selling groceries; they were selling stainless flatware. One could buy a three piece setting for only 29 cents.

I sure could use some of those pieces of flatware today. It seems mine are like socks that go in the washer as pairs and come out as singles. I believe that the eaters at my house throw the spoons and forks into the garbage after a meal. A couple of weeks ago I had to move my sewing machine and to my surprise I found two spoons, a comb and a clothespin underneath the cover. When my granddaughter, Hillary, was little, she hid keys and everything else in a table. We all knew to look there first if we couldn’t find the keys. Now she has two little boys and I guess I have found their hiding place.

Ernest White, 26, became the youngest elected judge in recent history when he was elected district judge.

I bet, if he reads this, it doesn’t seem as if that happened 35 years ago.

The Brewton Police Department issued a crackdown on stray dogs after a case of rabies had been reported in Flomaton. All dog owners were advised to vaccinate their animals and strays were to be picked up.

Finally, the Brewton Chamber of Commerce were getting ready for their annual banquet. Fred and Sybil Mitchell were named the Man and Woman of the Year.

They are both gone now, but they were very nice people.