Headlines then were just like now, it seems

Published 6:00 am Wednesday, March 30, 2016

In 1966, 50 years ago, the front pages of The Brewton Standard had some good news. but it reported some bad news too.

Four teens from Brewton and East Brewton were involved in a high speed accident on Sowell Road. The vehicle left the road and flew through the air for several feet. There were minor injuries and some more serious. The driver of the vehicle was charged for his speeding and reckless driving. The police reported that the injuries could have been a whole lot worse.

Due to cold weather, the Azalea Trail was not opened the previous week. But, now the flowers were blooming and spring weather had come to Brewton. The Azalea Trail was to open just a week late.

Email newsletter signup

I vaguely remember the Azalea Trail. I don’t know how long it was held here, but for some reason it was discontinued some years ago. It couldn’t have been because of the lack of flowers, because today they are blooming like crazy all over town.

A local soldier wrote home to his family after having been recently deployed to Vietnam. Ray Sheffield reported that things were very bad in Vietnam, but not to worry about him as he was not on the front lines.

Even though he told his family not to worry, how could they not? We all know that the war just got worse and lasted much longer than anyone had thought it would.

On a brighter note, Big Bear in East Brewton was set to open on April 1, with a ribbon cutting at 10 a.m. The mayor, Aubrey Langham, was to cut the ribbon. The store was owned by Lovelace Parker, and the store manager was James Parker. Prizes were to be given and special prices were available.

Fifty years ago seems like such a long time ago, but in the grand scheme of things, it’s not long at all. I am sure that is how those who opened the store felt.

At another store in Brewton, the James Knox Grocery and Market had a great sale going on. If I am not mistaken, this would have been the store on the corner of Granberry and Douglas.

Their specials included rubbing alcohol for 39 cents a pint; Tide detergent, regular size, four for $1; and ladies raincoats, full length and with hood, was only 25 cents each. Now talk about a bargain, all of those things could be had for just a little money.

Tragedy hit one family when a mother and her two children were drowned in the Conecuh River. They had been to a fish fry on the banks of the river and were in a boat when it capsized, throwing all of them into the river. The husband and father of the victims was serving in the military overseas at the time.

Lastly, there was an article in the newspaper stating that the voters in Century had voted to join the town of South Flomaton.

Now I, of course, am wondering what happened? When I came to Brewton in September of 1966, the tri-city area was make up of Flomaton, South Flomaton and Century. What happened?