Neal earns top five finishes
W.S. Neal track and field earned some top performances after competing with 10 other teams at Smiths Station in the 4A sectionals this weekend.
The girls team had five top-five finishes. Among the top individual performers was Kelana Floyd. Floyd finished first in the long jump with a measuring distance of 17-0.75. Floyd also finished fourth place in the 100-meter dash.
Other notable performances for the girls:
• Ashley Gibsson, fourth place, javelin, with a measure of 66-0; and shot put, fifth place, with a measure of 25-3.5.
• 4×100 relay team, third place, with a time of 55.62
The boys had 11 top-five finishes. A big highlight was the 4×400 boys relay team, who placed first with a time of 44.66. Among the top individual performers was Malcolm Hawthorne.
Malcolm Hawthorne earned second place in the 100-meter dash with a time of 11.37; and second place in the high jump with a measure of 5-8.
Other notable performances for the boys:
• Jacobey Hawthorne, third place, 200-meter dash, with a time of 23.51
• Quenton Samuel, third place, 100-meter dash, with a time of 11.47
• Troy Lewis, third place, long jump, with a measure of 20-3
• Tre English, third place, discus, with a measure of 104-9.5.
State finals will begin this Thursday at 8 a.m. in Gulf Shores at the Gulf Shores Municipal Complex. Competition will run thru May 7, with a beginning time of 8 a.m. each day.