JDCC student support services recognized
Jefferson Davis Community College’s Student Support Services Program recently held a TRIO Achiever’s Reception on the Brewton Campus to honor program participants in the Student Services Program.
Student Support Services, one of five TRIO programs funded under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, is a grant program that provides academic and personal support services to college students. The program was implemented at JDCC in 2001, and staff members assist approximately 150 eligible students per year by providing the academic assistance each student needs to help meet his or her educational goals. Its mission is to serve students who can benefit from the services the program provides.
Dr. William Blow, JDCC Interim President, provided welcome remarks and was followed by a brief presentation by Vanessa Kyles, JDCC financial aid director. Rachel Dwenger, alumni of the Student Support Services Program, provided remarks, as did Christy Crenshaw, Jennifer Allred and Howard Jones, III, current Student Support Services students. Staff members provided remarks and presented special awards.
Staff members for the program at JDCC are Kina Burkett, director; Dr. Marilyn Nicholson, counselor; Anita McCreary, transfer specialist; and Joyce Elliott, secretary.
Students honored for the 2015-2016 academic year are as follows and earned the perseverance award unless otherwise noted:
• From Andalusia: Pecia Davis;
• From Atmore: Iscela McNeal; and April Dorriety and Cody Mize, leadership award;
• From Brewton: Sarah Andrews, Sharon Collins, Kwanzaa McMillan, Destanee Watson, Devyon Watts and Caitlen Wheeler; and, Corey Garvin, most improved;
• From Century, Fla.: Alanna Johnson, leadership award;
• From Evergreen: Wanda Smith, perseverance award, and Christy Crenshaw, leadership award;
• From Excel: DeMeesha Johnson, perseverance award;
• From McKenzie: Howard Jones III, citizenship award;
• From Milton, Fla.: Marco Kendrick, perseverance award; and,
• From Mobile: Tawanna Foreman, perseverance award.