Bishop earns 2nd place, team finishes 5th in state
The T.R. Miller boys’ tennis team finished fifth overall out of 13 teams at the AHSAA state tournament in Mobile Tuesday. Freshman Matthew Bishop tallied the highest marks for the Tigers after finishing second overall in singles. Bishop was defeated by Dallon Walls of Montgomery Academy in two sets (7-5, 6-0).
Bishop also advanced to the semifinals in doubles with partner Clay Lang. The duo was defeated by Mac Lidkay and Arjun Lakhanpal of Altamont in straight sets. Altamont would go on to win in the championship.
Winning state was Altamont with 61 points. Montgomery Academy placed second (55), Houston Academy placed third (47), Bayside Academy placed fourth (22), and TRM placed fifth (20).
Results from state are:
- Spencer Skidmore (Altamont) def. Sam Terry, 6-0, 6-0;
- Jalen Lee (St. Bernard) def. Nash Diercks, 6-7, 6-4, 6-1;
- William Robertson (Montgomery Academy) def. Garrett Cave, 6-1, 6-0;
- Chris Guthrie def. Braxton Taft (American Christian), 6-7, 6-4, 6-3;
- Matthew Bishop def. Noah Coan (Covenant Christian), 6-1, 6-1;
- Noah Winton (Bye)
- Trey Craven (Houston Academy) def. Chris Guthre, 6-0, 6-0;
- Matthew Bishop def. Kenyon Stover (Sylvania), 6-3, 5-7, 6-1;
- Mason Sanders (Sylvania) def. Noah Winton, 6-4, 6-4
- Dallon Wallis (Montgomery Academy) def. Matthew Bishop, 6-0, 6-0
- Terry/Diercks def. Elijah Wade/Cade Tverberg (Covenant Christian), 6-2, 6-3;
- Cave/Guthrie def. Dawson Meados/Trent Findley (Pleasant Valley), 6-3, 7-5;
- Bishop/Lang (Bye)
- Jake Walker/Norwood Hodges def. Cave/Guthrie, 6-1, 6-1;
- Bishop/Lang def. Henry Dowhan/Arsheya Maghsoud (Bayside Academy), 6-0, 6-2;
- Jake Walker/Norwood Hodges def. Cave/Guthrie, 6-1,6-1
- Mac Lidikay/Arjun Lakhanpal def. Bishop/Lang, 6-0, 6-0