2 Flomaton residents injured in fireworks-related incidents
Two Flomaton residents were critically injured in separate firework accidents during Independence Day celebrations.
Hunter White, 17, was transferred by medical helicopter to the regional burn center at the University of South Alabama Medical Center in Mobile on Tuesday night after a firework exploded in his hand after being lit.
White suffered a traumatic injury to his hand, including the loss of fingers, according to Escambia County Chief Deputy Mike Lambert.
White was at a church function that was held on Lasala Lane off of Wolf Log Road in Flomaton. His father, Chris White, is a volunteer firefighter in Flomaton.
Monday night, Grady Barns, 40, man suffered a similar injury after a firework reportedly exploded in his hand.
Authorities said Barns lost most, if not all, of his fingers and suffered severe damage to his hand about a mile from where the incident occurred on Tuesday night.
Barns was also transported by medical helicopter to the regional burn center at the USA Medical Center in Mobile after being transported to the Flomaton Fire Station by ambulance from a private residence.