TRM XC opens Sept. 2
In less than a month, the T.R. Miller cross-country team will open its season at the Challenge of Champions at Langham Park in Mobile. To jumpstart its season the team will host its annual Friday Night Lights run at TRM Stadium on Fri., Aug. 18.
Last season the girl’s team finished second overall at state. The team will return ninth grader Olivia Blackmon who finished seventh overall at the state meet.
Overall the girl’s team will feature a young group. Sophomore Samantha Morris leads the young pack. On the girls’ team are ninth graders Blackmon, and Joslyn Carpenter; eight graders, Elisabeth Coleman, Sydney Lucas, Rebecca Ann Moore, Celeste Thomas, and Jordan Thompson; and seventh graders, Chloe Higdon and Makenna Williams.
The boy’s team finished sixth overall at state last season. The team will return juniors Tailand Mitchell and Micah Flores. Both placed in the top-50 at the state meet.
Rounding out the boys’ rosters are three seniors Justice Bailey, Tanner McDaniel, and Tucker McDaniel; juniors, Mitchell, Flores, and Rider Jernigan; freshmen, Joe Lutrell, Tyler McClain, and Tyler Thomas; eighth graders, Troy Higdon and James Tolbert; and seventh graders, Brooks Feely, Sam Kelly, and Gavin Lucas.
The cross-country meets on the schedule are:
• Aug. 18, Friday Night Lights, TRM stadium, 8 a.m.;
• Sept. 2, Challenge of Champions, Langhan Park Mobile, 8 a.m.;
• Sept. 16, Battle of the Bay, Loxley Municipal Park, 8 a.m.;
• Sept. 23, Gulf Coast Stampede, Pensacola Equestrian Center, 7:30 a.m.;
• Sept. 30, J.D. Mac, Jay Park in Jay, Fla., 8 a.m.;
• Oct. 7, T.R. Miller Challenge, Brewton Middle School, 8 a.m.;
• Oct. 21, Auburn Classic, Kiesel Park Auburn, 8:30 a.m.;
• Nov. 2, 3A Section No. 1 Meet, Loxley Municipal Park, TBA; and,
• Nov. 11, State Meet, Jesse Owens in Moulton, Ala., TBA
During the week of July 29, 2017, the Escambia County Sheriff’s Office responded to 214 complaints and 17 domestic calls;... read more