Actors needed for upcoming holiday show
It’s time to cast the next Brewton Town and Gown Players show, said Director Stephen Billy.
Auditions for “The Best Christmas Pageant Ever” will be held on Tues., Oct. 10, from 6-9 p.m. at the Brewton Community Center.
Billy said rehearsals will begin on Nov. 2 with the performances running Dec. 14-17 at Coastal Alabama Community College.
“As a child, this was always one of my favorite books. It is witty, entertaining, and just all around a wonderful show,” Billy said. “We are seeking over 30 actors to fill available roles, so I strongly encourage everyone to come audition.”
To audition, one will be asked to read a scene from the script, which will be provided at the time of auditions.
“This way, you’re not required to prepare anything in advance,” he said. “And if your child is interested in a non-speaking role, those are available too.
“Auditions will begin at 6 P.M., so please arrive a few minutes before to fill out an audition form,” he said.
Those unable to attend the audition and would like to be considered for a role should contact Billy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“We are looking for actors, specifically children, with lots of personality,” he said. “If your child does not have any previous theatre experience, that is perfectly fine. We welcome everyone.”
Roles, with description and ages, include:
• Bob Bradley (Father): solid family man, 35-50;
• Grace Bradley (Mother): warm, motherly, 35-50;
• Beth Bradley: the narrator, strong voice and presence, 9-15;
• Charlie Bradley: traditional kid brother, 8-14;
• Ralph Herdman: ragged, slouching manner, touch of adolescent cool, 10-15;
• Imogene Herdman: loud, bossy, crafty, 9-14;
• Leroy Herdman: tough, sure of himself, 10-13;
• Claude Herdman: loud, combative, 8-12;
• Ollie Herdman: looking for trouble, Claude’s usual partner in crime, 8-9;
• Gladys Herdman: small, wiry, feisty, 7-8;
• Alice Wedkleken: prim, proper, pain in the neck, 9 – 14;
• Mrs. Armstrong: overbearing woman, managerial in voice and manner, 40-50;
• Mrs. Slocum: pleasant, sweet woman, 35-60;
• Mrs. Clark: 35-60;
• Mrs. Clausing: 35-60;
• Mrs. McCarthy: a younger, less imperious version of Mrs. Armstrong, middle 40s;
• Maxine: 8-11:
• Elmer Hopkins: 9-13:
• Hobie: 9-10;
• David: 8-9;
• Beverly: 7-8;
• two firemen: 25-30;
• Shirley: 5-6;
• Juanita: 5-6;
• Doris: 5-6;
• the Rev. Hopkins: middle to late 40s; and,
• additional choir members, baby angels and shepherds.