Smiths look to rebuild after fire

Published 5:00 am Wednesday, October 4, 2017

At approximately 8:30 a.m. on Tues., Sept. 5, 2017, Lois Smith and her family lost their precious home. Firefighters rushed to put out the fire in the back portion of Smith’s home located on 102 May Street in Brewton. Even with their efforts, the damage was already done. The house suffered extensive fire and smoke damage.

Smith lived in the home with five other family members. Thankfully, no one was injured.

“The fire was discovered by my eldest son,” Smith said. “By the time he got up to check what was going on the place was already in flames.”

Email newsletter signup

Smith said authorities told her the fire was caused by electrical.

Currently, Smith is living with her daughter, Krystle. She said she plans to clear out the old house and rebuild.

“I was one years old when my mom had that house built,” Smith said. “Three generations have grown up there. It’ll be hard, but we’ll continue to move on.”

Smith said anything will help as the family looks to rebuild, and would like to thank family and friends for their generosity during this difficult time.

To help visit