WSN track readies for first meet
W.S. Neal Neal head coach Jace Gandy and the Blue Eagles are set and ready to run for the season as they prepare for their first track meet.
The Eagles have been practicing for two to three weeks now, he said.
“We are excited, have some returning players from last year, and looking to compete for the title,” Gandy said.
“Senior Ashley Gibson was in the top 15 last year, and we are looking for some great things from her again this year, he said. “Lizet Fuentes is a distance runner, and she set the school record last year as a freshman.
We have 22 runners, 13 throwers, and several sprinters where we focus on a 4 x 100- meter relay. This is Gandy’s fourth year at Neal and his third year as track coach.
“We are excited about this because we have some young runners, he said.” “I want to see how they respond to a competition setting.”
Gandy said he wants to instill discipline, hold students accountable, and prepare them to be successful. “It’s how you start not how you finish look to improve, perform better, and have fun,” Gandy said. “We are building to a point where we have increased our number of kids running track in the last three to four years. We are always looking for improvement, as “track is a way to aid other sports that are played here at W.S. Neal.”
W.S. Neal Track schedule for the year is below:
- March 9, Northview Fla., 3:30 p.m.
- March 15, TRM Meet No.1, 3:30 p.m.
- March 22, TRM Meet No.2, 3:30 p.m.
- Apr 5, TRM Meet No.3, 3:30 p.m.
- Apr 14, TRM invitational, 9 a.m.
- Apr 27, Sectionals meet, TRM
- Apr 28, Sectionals meet, TRM
- May 3, State finals meet, Gulf Shores
- May 4, State finals meet, Gulf Shores
- May5, State finals meet, Gulf Shores