TRM Scholars Bowl team takes state
T.R. Miller High School has another group of state champions walking its halls.
The TRM Scholars Bowl varsity team, composed of Matthew Bishop, Neelee Harrison, Garrett Cave, Tucker McDaniel, Ora Nelson and Cole Jernigan, went eight matches in pursuit of the trophy, losing only one.
They defeated Altamont, a perennial state qualifier and former state champion, by taking the first two of the best of three in the state finals in Division 2, which includes 1A through 4A schools.
“Matthew Bishop was the high scorer in Division 2 in state,” sponsor Julie Clements said. “I’m so proud of my students. These students take time to practice on their own time – at 7 a.m., twice per week and they stay late twice a week.”
Clements said the team worked efficiently as a team.
“They started in October and worked hard all the way to the championship,” she said.
The team was led by captain Bishop and Nelson manages the team.
T.R. Miller belongs to ASCA, a state association, that allows schools to compete at the district, region, and state level. Schools, as they compete, are not divided by 1A-7A, magnet, or private. At these ASCA meets, Miller must compete with all types of schools.
When it comes to the state finals. the competition is divided into two divisions with Miller now being in Division II (1A-4A).
As part of the Alabama State Competition Association, T.R. Miller has:
• Qualified for the State Finals 2001, 2011, 2012, 2014
• Qualified for Regional play in 2001, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
• Starting back in 2005, ASCA created a Small School division to allow only 1A-4A public schools to compete. T.R. Miller has:
• Won its Region in 2005, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
In 2013, ASCA started a State Championship of Small Schools from the Region Winners and Runner Ups. T.R. Miller has:
• Come in 2nd place in 2013, 2014 and sixth in 2015 and seventh in 2016