TRM Tigers defeat Bayside

Published 10:15 am Wednesday, September 26, 2018

The Tigers of T.R. Miller High School have improved their record to 4-0 after a defeat over Bayside Academy in Daphne on Friday night.
With a beautiful night sky setting the scene, the Tigers took to the Bayside Admirals field charging out with one mission on their mind, remaining undefeated.
The Tigers won the toss and elected to receive to start the contest.
Upon the kickoff, the Tigers fumbled the ball for a Bayside recovery.
Bayside went three downs on their first drive and would send out the field goal unit but miss on the opportunity on fourth down.
TRM took over on downs on the second drive of the game but failed to gain positive yardage on third down and elected to punt away.
The Bayside offense once again took to the field.
In a change of events, Bayside would throw an interception and TRM would recover.
With a fourth down situation and within field goal range, TRM sent out kicker, Matt Morgan for a 39-yard field goal attempt.
Morgan boomed the kick through the uprights to place TRM in the lead 3-0 with only 2:20 to go
in the first quarter of play.
Bayside failed to respond to the Morgan field goal in the first and TRM would end the quarter with the ball on a third down.
The Tigers quickly punted the ball away to Bayside to start the second quarter.
Bayside would again take the ball for another four downs, without any results.
TRM would also draw four downs on their next series to punt away to the one-yard line.
Miller’s defense created pressure on the Bayside first down and drew another interception to setup a Ke’von Samuel one-yard touchdown run at 6:36 in the second quarter, putting Miller ahead 10-0, following another Morgan field goal.
Bayside striked back at Miller with 2:30 left to go in the half, with Nathan Cook scoring on a 5-yard run, followed by a good field goal, shortening the TRM lead, 10-7.
TRM again received the ball to start the last drive of the half.
With just seven seconds left on the clock and a fourth down reading on the game clock, Morgan was sent in once again to attempt a very long 45-yard field goal.
Morgan set boot to the ball and sent it directly between the pipes, extending the Miller lead to 13-7 at halftime.
Bayside received the ball to start the second half of the game.
Both, Bayside and TRM went four downs with no results for the next drives.
Bayside came out for their eighth drive in the game determined to fight back.
On a crazy play that takes out both, a referee and Miller’s, Ke’von Samuels, Bayside’s Matthew Kalifeth scored on a 1-yard run, followed by a good PAT, giving Bayside the lead 14-13 with 4:24 left on the clock in the third quarter.
Both sides would fight for field position through the rest of the third quarter and into the fourth.
Neither defense was willing to give ground until 11:48 in the fourth quarter, when Joseph Jernigan would throw a 7-yard pass to Maison Harrell for a touchdown.
The touchdown follow-up however, wouldn’t be a Morgan kick this time around, but instead a two-point conversion coming from a Webb run.
The rest of the quarter was left to the TRM defense.
The defense was able to build a brick wall against a tough Bayside offense to give the Tigers the victory 21-14.
“Our defense stepped up and we lost a few guys at the half, our goal was to step up and make adjustments at the second half and it paid off for us. We are just going to take everything week by week and work to get Miller back to the top,” Coach Etheredge said.
Miller is now 4-0 on season record and is sitting number one in the regional standings.
They will face Hillcrest High on Friday night at Hillcrest High School.

Email newsletter signup