Family loses home in blaze

Published 4:38 pm Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

A local family lost their home last week to what is believed to be a fire caused by an appliance in the laundry room.

Brewton Fire Department received the call Thursday evening around 8:42 p.m., to 324 Stallworth Street.

“It’s still under investigation,” said Brewton Fire Chief Jeff Salter. “State Farm had their investigators in and it looks to have started in the utility room.”

Salter said the family was at home at the time of the fire, and one small child suffers minor burns on the ears.

“The child was treated by EMS on the scene,” he said.

Salter said eight firefighters fought the blaze for four hours.

“The fire vent had gotten into the attic and it made it a little aggravating,” he said. “But we had it under control in about an hour.”

Salter said the home was 50 percent involved when the department arrived on scene.

The home is a total loss, he said.

“They lost pretty much everything,” Salter said.

Tammy Smith, counselor at Brewton Elementary School, posted on a community Facebook group for Brewton Elementary School that the school was seeking help from the community for the family.

The family’s fourth grader attends BES.

The family is currently staying with family in Flomation.

Six people lived at the residence. They need the following items.

• Mother: 2XL shirt, size 18 pants and shoe size 10;

• Grandmother: Medium shirt; size 8 pants and shoe size 8;

• Daughter (14 years old, ninth grade) large shirt and adult medium pants, size 11 shoes;

• Daughter (10 years old, fourth grade) girls size 14-16 clothes and an 8.5 shoe size;

• Son (1 year) size 2T and shoe size six;

• Nephew (20s); Large shirt and pants size 34/30 and shoe size 10.5.

Donations may be dropped off at BES.