Tax-free weekend coming soon
Alabama’s back-to-school sales tax holiday begins Fri., July 19.
The special shopping period starts at 12:01 a.m. on Fri., July 19, and lasts until midnight on Sun., July 21. During this period, shoppers can purchase clothes, computers, books, school supplies and other items without paying state sales tax. Local sales tax may apply.
Clothing, school supplies, computers and software are included in the tax-free weekend.
Below is a list of all the items available during the tax-free weekend:
Tax-exempt clothing items:
- gym suits
- school uniforms
Tax exempt computers and software:
Computer items $750 or less per article are tax-free.
- Printer supplies
School supplies of $50 or less per article are tax free:
- book bags
- index cards
- legal pads
- lunch boxes
- pencil boxes
- pencil sharpeners
- drawing pads
- reference maps
- required textbooks
- books ($30 or less, per book)
Some of the items not included in the tax-free weekend are:
- Sunglasses or eye glasses
- Protecting equipment, such as hard hats and tool belts
- Sports equipment, such as gloves, bats and pads, as well as dance shoes.
- Band instruments
- Furniture, such as computer desks
- Non-educational video games
- Tax-exempt school supplies