Structure fire put out by home owner

Published 4:13 pm Thursday, July 18, 2019

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

The East Brewton Fire Department and Brewton Fire Department responded to a structure fire on Maddox St., East Brewton on Tuesday. The owner of the home ended up putting the fire out himself before either fire department arrived. The East Brewton Fire Department said the fire started on the home owner’s stove, but the owner was able to put the fire out himself with a fire extinguisher. East Brewton firefighter Taylor Cash was one of the firemen on the scene. Cash said when he arrived to the home, the fire was already put out. Cash said that he and volunteer firefighter Hall found burnt insulation in the attic.

“We removed the insulation and the vent pipe from the stove hood from the structure,” Cash said. “We unplugged the stove. The kitchen, living room and den had moderate to heavy smoke upon arrival.”

Cash said they used electric Positive Pressure Ventilation fans to air out the home. The firemen also noticed that the home didn’t have any smoke detectors installed. The firemen installed two new detectors before leaving the home.