ECHA: Continuing to monitor COVID-19
The Escambia County Healthcare Authority said yesterday that it is continuing to monitor the new coronavirus (COVID-19) according to a release.
Coronavirus disease is a respiratory illness that can spread from person to person. The virus that cause COVID-19 is a novel coronavirus that was first identified during an investigation into an outbreak in Wuhan, China, according to the Centers for Disease Control’s website.
The ECHA, which manages Atmore Community Hospital and D.W. McMillan Memorial Hospital in Brewton, said in a release that it is aware of the new coronavirus and the challenges it creates for all.
“The Escambia County Healthcare System is very sympathetic and understanding to all of those who may be affected by this virus across the world,” the release said. “We continue to closely monitor the ongoing COVID-19 situation to ensure we take all necessary steps to protect the health and safety of our patients and employees.”
The ECHA said it is following the CDC, the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Alabama Department of Public Health (ADPH) guidelines to make informed decisions.
According to the release, the ECHA said it has taken and implemented actions in response to COVID-19. They include the following:
- • Alabama’s hospitals are coordinating with the Alabama Department of Public Health on any patient that meets the screening criteria to initiate testing and to ensure appropriate monitoring.
- • Our hospital has taken every precaution to provide for the safety of our patients and our staff.
- • We have developed processes to properly screen and isolate individuals who present to our hospital meeting the CDC criteria for the virus. To date, we have not had anyone present themselves.
- • We urge the members of our community to practice good hygiene and to avoid coming to the hospital to visit patients if you are sick. However, if you experience symptoms that correspond with the CDC criteria for coronavirus, you should call your health provider immediately or go to the emergency room if symptoms worsen.
- Visit the CDC’s website at cdc.gov for tips and prevention methods.