Christmas parade registration now open
Published 6:31 pm Tuesday, November 22, 2022
Thousands of people turn out to the streets of Brewton and East Brewton each year in hopes of catching a glimpse of Santa in the annual Christmas Parade organized by the Greater Brewton Area Chamber of Commerce.
This year’s parade is set for Friday, Dec. 9 beginning at 6 p.m. with line-up starting in East Brewton.
The parade will follow its usual route along leaving Shoffner Street in East Brewton to travel along Forrest Avenue and across Murder Creek. The parade will continue along Mildred Street and will turn onto St. Joseph Avenue and again onto Bellville Avenue.
The parade will disband along the side streets of Belleville Avenue.
For those interested in participating in this annual event, registration is now underway through the Chamber office.
Floats registered to be considered for prize judging will be required to pay a $30 fee per entry with a $20 fee for businesses and $10 for individuals, clubs, etc.
Chamber members, school related or city funded entries may register at no charge, unless you are competing for prizes.
Prizes for the winning entries will be $200 for first place, $100 for second place and $50 for third place.
To participate, each entry must be registered and follow the guidelines that include:
• Each entry must be decorated in Christmas decorations and be appropriate for children;
• Each float must have a walker on each side of the float;
• Candy must be thrown away from the float onto sidewalks for safety purposes;
• Floats can be towed by vehicle or be placed on a flat-bed truck;
• The Chamber will have the ONLY Santa in the parade;
• A release form must be signed before the entry will be allowed into the parade;
• A mandatory meeting will be held the Monday of the parade and the driver or representative of the entry must be in attendance.
Judy Crane, executive director for the Chamber, said thousands of residents and visitors show up along the parade route each year to enjoy the twilight event.
“Since this is a twilight parade, we are asking floats to include lights if possible,” Crane said. “Although we don’t have a particular theme to follow, the floats must pertain to Christmas. Each year several thousand people line the streets to enjoy the parade and we want this year’s parade to be the best parade our community has ever had while providing a safe, family-oriented experience.”
Crane also said that if weather conditions prevent the parade from rolling on Dec. 9, a make-up day has been set for Saturday, Dec. 10 at 6 p.m.
The Chamber offices are located inside Brewton City Hall at 1010 Douglas Avenue. You may call them at 867-3224 for additional details.