House fire leaves family without home

Published 7:51 am Wednesday, January 22, 2003

By By ROBERT BLANKENSHIP – Managing Editor
A house fire in Brewton Wednesday morning left a tenant and another family without a home.
Brewton Fire Department responded to the house at 627 Fleming Lane at approximately 4:50 a.m. The fire fighters were able to contain the fire to a bedroom and bathroom, but heat and smoke damage was severe throughout the home.
BFD Chief Lawrence Weaver said the fire was ignited from a burning candle on a table in the bedroom.
There were no injuries in the blaze, but a rescue truck, D.W. McMillan Ambulance Service were called to the scene. There were 13 firefighters working the blaze and two engines. Weaver said the fire was knocked down in about five minutes.
John Jefferson was the renter and occupant of the house owned by Hines Realty. Another family was living with Jefferson there after they suffered a house fire in 2002. The family, ranging in age from 18 to 72, were Charles Washington, Evelyn Lovelace Washington, Jeffrey Redman, Fabian Lovelace and Larry Lovelace. All residents were able to escape the home without injury.
The American Red Cross has helped the family with immediate needs such as some clothes and temporary shelter.
Rogene Martin, director of the East Escambia Chapter of ARC said the residents are still in need of donations.
Rogene said those who wanted to help could contact the family directly or make a donation through the ARC office. She said other items will also be needed.
For more details about making a donation contact Martin at 867-3426.
Red Cross aid is an outright gift. It is provided for by voluntary contributions from the American people.

Email newsletter signup