Brewton woman dies in house fire

Published 9:47 am Wednesday, February 26, 2003

By By ROBERT BLANKENSHIP – Managing Editor
A 62-year-old Brewton woman was killed Sunday morning as the result of a house fire at her residence on Carver Street.
Mary Alice Hill was found by firefighters lying on the floor of her bedroom at 733 Carver St. The cause of her death was determined to be smoke inhalation.
Firefighters were called to the scene at approximately 2 a.m. Sunday morning. Brewton Fire Chief Lawrence Weaver said Hill's husband, Grant Hill, found the house on fire when he arrived home that morning. Weaver said several calls came in about the same time in regard to the burning house.
Weaver said the house was fully involved upon the arrival of firefighters. When they arrived someone at the scene told them that somebody was likely still inside.
While the fire was primarily in the living room area, Weaver said the entire house suffered heavy smoke and heat damage.
Once firefighters made their way into the house, they went into the bedroom where they found Hill unconscious on the floor. She was later pronounced dead.
Firefighters do not know how long the fire had been burning, but Weaver said that several factors could have led to the fire not being reported sooner.
While time was a factor, Weaver also said the house itself may have caused the house to burn faster.
Weaver said that the Alabama Fire Marshall's Office was called to the scene as required when a death is involved. He said his office and the fire marshall investigated the scene on Sunday and Monday.
While the investigation is still underway, Weaver said the fire has been determined as accidental. The exact cause is still under investigation.
The BFC responded to the scene with two engines, a rescue truck and the chief's vehicle. Twelve firefighters responded to the blaze. EMS units from D.W. McMillan Memorial Hospital also responded.
Weaver said no firefighter was injured in battling the blaze which was controlled in about 15 to 20 minutes. Firefighters remained on the scene for about five hours.