Info available about CCC

Published 7:42 pm Wednesday, September 17, 2003

By Staff
This week on the Profile page, I told you a little bit about the Civilian Conservation Corps. I thought I would continue with other material about that time. Some of you may have had grandfathers and great-grandfathers who served in the Corps and there is information available about them in the National Archives in Washington, D.C.
Everyone is not able to make the trip to Washington and there is another way to obtain the records of the CCC. The National Archives will send copies to researchers for the price of 50 cents per page.
Contact Mr. Gene Morris, Civilian Records, Textual Archive Services in College Park, Maryland at 301-837-1993.
It is always best to have as much information as possible before you make the call the Mr. Morris.
The information can be retrieved by Company number or by Camp number. Camp location is helpful. The basic information of almost all CCC camps can be found through the website of the National Association of CCC Alumni ( HYPERLINK "" ). Mr. Morris can quickly tell you how much information is available, and approximately how much it will cost to have it sent.
Copies from the National Archives are 50 cents per page. A "Quotation for Reproduction Services" will be sent to you, listing the information available and price. The minimum order by mail is $10.00 and must be prepaid. They accept a credit card, check or money order. After you payment has been received, it usually takes ten to twelve weeks for delivery. For additional cost, several different vendors at the National Archives can make reproductions of still photographs, aerial film, maps and drawings. A list of these vendors will be sent with information on how to contact them.
Information concerning Native American companies and camps can be obtained from the Bureau of Indian Affairs in Washington, D.C. at 202-501-5395. Records of work projects conducted by the Department of Grazing and other departments of the Bureau of Land Management, are filed at the Rocky Mountain Regional Archives in Denver, Colorado. The phone number is 303-236-8017. Some Camp Reports for the Bureau of Land Management are at the National Archives.
The information above comes from Bob Pasquill, Forest Archeologist and Forest Historian for the National Forest Service in Alabama. He will be the speaker at the monthly meeting of the Escambia County Historical Society Sept. 23, 2003 at 3 p.m. at the Thomas E. McMillan Museum at JDCC. He will bring his knowledge of the camps and the workers who were with the CCC. Members are encouraged to attend and bring someone with you. If you don't belong to the Society, maybe you should think about joining. They meet once a month for most of the year except for December when they plan the Christmas Party. If you are interested in your county's history and want to be a part of the preservation of artifacts, show up at the meeting and meet someone else who is interested in the same things.

Email newsletter signup