Readers encouraged to check into refunds

Published 11:18 pm Monday, November 3, 2003

By Staff
How often do you, the taxpayer, get money back from the government? More often than not, that works the other way around, with Uncle Sam doing the taking. In fact, just about the only opportunity we have to get a check from the man in the star-spangled hat is when it comes in the form of a tax refund. Granted, that's our money to begin with, and doesn't really constitute new income. But it still feels nice when you receive one of those checks with the Statute of Liberty emblazoned across it. Depending upon a person's situation at the time, that check can make a big difference.
Unfortunately, many in Alabama are missing out on money that is rightfully theirs.
The IRS is urging the state's taxpayers to take action in pursuing refunds they may be entitled to, but which weren't delivered because the intended recipients have changed their addresses. Alabama taxpayers have until Dec. 5 to claim some 3,387 checks that were returned to the IRS because of an invalid address. Some of the checks are regular tax refunds, and others are for people who filed for an advance child credit.
The checks add up to over $1.4 million in total value, with the average check coming in at $433.
Taxpayers can track their undelivered checks by going to the IRS website at, and clicking the "Where's My Advance Child Credit?" icon, or the "Where's My Refund?" icon. The website also contains instructions on how to update your address.
Taxpayers without access to the internet who wish to inquire about an undelivered check are asked to check their records or consult their tax preparer first, and then call 1-800-829-1040 for instructions on updating their address.
We encourage our readers to check into this if they believe one of the undelivered checks may be theirs. After all, it's their money, and with the holidays right around the corner, wouldn't a little help from Uncle Sam feel good right now?

Email newsletter signup