TRM boys state track title among 2003 sports highlights
Published 3:26 am Monday, December 29, 2003
By By BRUCE HIXON Sports Editor
(Second in a three-part series)
* The T.R. Miller Tigers track team captured the state championship in the combined Class 1A-3A division. The Tigers racked up 89 1/2 points, which was 33 1/2 more than runner-up Sumter County's total of 56.
Individual state champions for T.R. Miller included freshman Antonio Gomez in the 110 meter high hurdles and sophomore Rodney Lane in the 400 meter dash.
* The T.R. Miller Lady Tigers track team posted a third place finish at the state meet with 73 points.
T.R. Miller's 400 meter relay team posted a first place finish. Joy McCorvey and Brittnee Malloyd both had the highest individual finish for T.R. Miller. McCorvey was runner-up in the 100 meter dash, while Malloyd was second in the shot put.
* The W.S. Neal Blue Eagles finished seventh at the state track meet with 45 points.
Alphonso Gross was an individual state champion, as he claimed the long jump. W.S. Neal's 400 meter relay team also took first place.
* The season came to an end for the T.R. Miller Tigers baseball team, as they were swept in a best-of-three series by Dadeville. T.R. Miller ended its season with a 19-9 record.
* T.R. Miller girls basketball player Brittnee Malloyd signed to play at Lawson State College.
* T.R. Miller freshman golfer Tripp Owens qualified for the state tournament. Owens later finished ninth at the state meet. As a team, the Tigers finished fourth at the sectional.
* T.R. Miller High School baseball player Russell Bagwell signed to play at Southern Union College. Bagwell was also chosen to play in the Lions East-West All-Star Game.
* The Pirates beat the Astros 6-1 for the Brewton Babe Ruth League championship. Baxley Raines hurled his team to the win with a complete game one-hitter, as he struck out 10.
* The East Brewton Athletics downed the East Brewton Yankees 10-5 in the championship game of the Brewton-East Brewton Little League nine and 10-year-old tournament.
Tyler Sawyer had three hits to lead the winners, while Joseph Strength struck out eight for the win.
* The Brewton Royals downed the East Brewton Cardinals 12-2 for the championship of the Brewton-East Brewton Little League 11-12-year-old tournament.
Cody Swain, Todd Robinson and Evan Burkett all had two hits to lead the Royals. Burkett got the win in relief.
* The Brewton Little League selected players for its two all-star teams. The nine and 10-year-old members included Dan Smith, Bradley Brown, Jon Jones, Dylan Bell, Harrison Horton, Trevor Diercks, Conner Denton, Bryant Jernigan, Trent Robinson, Parker Reiss, Collin Graves, Ryland Dixon and Avery Couture.
The 11 and 12-year-old members included Garrett Robinson, Todd Robinson, Grant DeFrancisco, Houston Simmons, Corey Williams, Gordon Jones, Cortez Banks, Taylor Berry, Evan Burkett, Landon Sowell, Mabry Cook and Sam Sharpe.
* The East Brewton Little League named its all-star team members.
Players for the nine and 10-year-olds included Reid Johnson, Dillan Anthony, Hayden Cooper, Gary McGraw, Logan Williamson, Justin Hammac, Mitch Emmons, Joseph Adkins, Tyler Sawyer, Keith Bradley, Taylor Ballard, Brewer Grimes, Joseph Strength and Ben Bounds.
Members for the 11 and 12-year-olds included Jacob Cannon, William Shell, Tyler Nall, Tyler Cross, Jamar Travis, Dylan Smith, Kevin Pace, Dodson Herrington, Lonnie Farrish, Tyson Godwin, Justin Payne, Jimmy Sims and Jake Bounds.
* Players selected for the Brewton Babe Ruth 13-year-old all-stars included Tyler Brown, Derek Busby, Casey Butts, Chase Crosby, Bobby Freeman, James Freeman, Christopher Griffin, James Hamric, Ryne Hand, Jake Hodge, Terry Lucas, Aaron Nelson, Fred Samuel, Jake Smith and Will Waters.
* Players selected for the Brewton Babe Ruth 14-year-old all-stars included Nykeem Barton, Jared Cooper, Bracken Davis, Becker Denton, Justin Gomez, Travis Holland, Mackie Jackson, Jimmie Jones, Aaron Lambert, Kendell Land, Baxley Raines, Joshua Sawyer, Tanner Shehan, Brad Smith, Edward Taylor and Allen Williams.
* Players selected for the Brewton Babe Ruth 15-year-old all-stars included Jordan Cauley, Justin Cole, Javaris Drakeford, Antonio Gomez, Michael Hunt, Justin Marshall, Brice Martin, Hayes Martin, Wade McCall, Hayes Peace, Whitney Qualls, Patrick Reeves, Mikel Riggs, Justin Smith and Spencer Williamson.
* Both the Brewton and East Brewton Little League nine and 10-year-old all-stars were eliminated in district competition.
East Brewton eliminated Brewton 11-0, while Andalusia eliminated East Brewton 7-1.
* Both the East Brewton and Brewton Little League 11 and 12-year-old all-stars bowed out in district competition.
East Brewton was ousted by Andalusia 9-4, while Opp knocked out Brewton 2-1.
* The Brewton Babe Ruth 13-year-old All-Stars claimed the district championship with an 8-5 win over Atmore in the championship game.
James Hamric had two hits, while Will Waters drove in two runs to pace Brewton.
Brewton was eliminated at the area tournament when it fell to Opp 12-7.
* The Brewton Babe Ruth 14-year-old All-Stars claimed the district championship with a 4-3 win over South Monroe.
Baxley Raines had a decisive solo homer in the seventh inning to produce the win.
* The Brewton Babe Ruth 15-year-old All-Stars earned a berth in the state tournament with a 7-3 triumph over Atmore at the area tournament.
Spencer Williamson and Justin
Marshall both had two hits to lead Brewton.
After a first-round win at state, Brewton was knocked out of further play with back-to-back losses.
* The Brewton Babe Ruth 14-year-old all-stars earned a state tournament berth with an 11-1 win over Covington County at the Area Tournament.
See REVIEW Page 7
Brewton posted a third place finish at the state tournament after it was eliminated by West Mobile 5-4.
* T.R. Miller basketball player Ryheen Drakeford signed to play at Jefferson Davis Community College.
* Although the game did not count in the official standings, the Shane Smothers football coaching era at W.S. Neal began on a successful note when the Blue Eagles edged Andalusia 20-17 in the Kick-Off Classic.
The Blue Eagles got a 76-yard touchdown run from Marcus Folmar, an 89-yard touchdown run from Alphonso Gross and a 73-yard touchdown pass from Marquis Barksdale to Jake Bailey.
* Both T.R. Miller and W.S. Neal opened the football regular season with victories.
The Tigers downed Escambia County 44-24. Michael Jones and Skylar Foutain each ran for more than 100 yards and scored a combined four touchdowns.
It marked the 14th straight year T.R. Miller won its season opener.
W.S. Neal blanked Hillcrest 23-0 behind three touchdown runs by Alphonso Gross.
Gross' touchdown scores came on runs of 40, 57 and seven yards.