Man dies in house fire

Published 11:11 pm Wednesday, April 6, 2005

By By LEE WEYRICH For The Standard
When Ed "Buddy" Johnson entered the house to investigate a smoky smell no one knew it would be the last time anyone would see him.
Johnson was eating lunch on the front porch with the home's owner, Sarah Edwards, when they began smelling something burning.
According to Eugene Edwards, Johnson was a longtime family friend who lived in the house.
Eugene said it is not certain where the fire began.
The house became quickly engulfed in flames.
The fire marshal pinpointed the fire to the kitchen.
At least 20 people responded to the emergency.
Luckily no one else was hurt, but the loss of a close friend was a tragedy that was made even more painful by the loss of the Edwards family homestead.
Eugene Edward's son was the first family member to arrive at the scene, but Edwards arrived in time to see the home engulfed.
For now Sarah Edwards is without a home and without a cherished friend.
Johnson has one brother and three sisters who live in Pensacola. Contact information for Johnson's family was unavailable at this time.