Grease ignites blaze

Published 1:44 am Monday, November 28, 2005

By By LYDIA GRIMES – Features writer
The Brewton Fire Department responded to a call at 530 St. Joseph Avenue Wednesday, Nov. 23, at 10:36 a.m. According to Fire Chief Lawrence Weaver, a one story wood frame house, owned by Sharman Lewis, caught fire when a stove was left unattended. Lewis' son had been cooking French fries on the stove when he left the kitchen and went to another room and fell asleep. The cooking oil caught fire and caused damage to the kitchen area.
The fire department responded to the call with nine firefighters, two engines, a rescue truck and the fire chief. The damage was contained to the kitchen and no one was hurt in the accident.
Weaver said grease fires are not unusual. He said people typically get caught up with doing something else and grease can catch on fire before one realizes it. Eighty percent of all fire deaths occur in the home and cooking is the leading cause of home fires and the leading cause of fire injuries. Deaths due to cooking fires are particularly preventable, and a smoke alarm more than doubles one's chances of surviving a fire.
Weaver has some life-saving tips to avoid cooking fires.

Email newsletter signup