Trash fire gets out of control
By By LYDIA GRIMES – Features writer
An out-of-control trash fire sent members of the McCall Volunteer Fire Department to a residence Wednesday afternoon.
The volunteer fire department responded to a call at 6565 Old Hwy. 31, near Keego, Jan. 4, at 4:06 p.m. They were assisted by the Brewton Fire Department and the Alabama Forestry in putting out a trash fire that got out of control.
According to Chief Joseph Hutchcraft with the McCall VFD, the fire began with a trash fair that spread to a shed and a stack of lighter wood. Eleven members of the McCall VFD responded to the call and members of the Alabama Forestry did a plow line around the fire to contain it to the shed and wood. Although the fire was contained within three hours, the remains of the wood continued to smolder for several hours.
Hutchcraft said that, in his opinion, although there has been rain lately and there is no fire ban, there has not been enough rain to make it safe to burn trash or grass without close supervision.
By By MARY-ALLISON LANCASTER – Managing editor Students participating in the Brewton Middle School DARE (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) program... read more