Fire causes evacuation of CEC customers, staff

Published 12:53 pm Wednesday, September 20, 2006

By By Adam Prestridge – Special to The Standard
The Creek Entertainment Center (CEC) in Atmore was evacuated Tuesday afternoon following an electric &#8220blow out” that injured one person and smoked up one of the facility's game rooms.
According to CEC site manager Daniel McGhee, Rowdy Boyte of Boyte's Electric suffered burns to his legs after an explosion occurred around 12:40 p.m.while he was replacing electric panels in the gaming facility's electrical room.
Immediately following the explosion, fire alarms sounded and all customers were evacuated into adjacent parking lots.
The smoke was confined to Section 4 of the entertainment center, but the entire facility was vacated as a safety precaution.
McGhee said the electrical panels being replaced were outdated and suggested to him that they be updated. He said they are similar to fuse boxes.
At the scene, customers waited outside while rescue workers with the Poarch Volunteer Fire Department and Kelley's Ambulance tended to Boyte prior to transporting him to the hospital. Other employees and customers were given oxygen for smoke inhalation.
McGhee said once officials gave the OK to allow customers back into the game rooms, he would allow them to cash out their winnings, but would remain closed until all safety measures have been made to ensure the safety of employees and customers.
Officers with the Poarch Police Department, CEC security staff and the Atmore Police Department also reported to the scene.
No update on Boyte's condition was available as of press time.